missing lady

frogs n chickens

Chirping
10 Years
May 19, 2009
valley springs, calif.
Came home from work this evening and went to close the ladies up in the coop. Took count and came up one light brahma short. My light brahmas tend to do most of their free ranging away from the roo and other hens and I tended to worry about them a little because of that.
We have some beautiful coopers hawks with a nest nearby, but I have yet to see them even look sideways at the ladies, although they might have made a visit today while noone was home. I have also been seeing some dog poo near the coop and I don't have a dog; and I have only one neighbor that is irresponsible enough to allow their dogs to run free, and I have occasionally run them off with my bb gun. That neighbor has 2 roos and one hen, but I think they do not leave the coop, and maybe the dog would not want to go through 2 roos to get a hen.
I am not sure at this point what happened to her, and may never know. Now I am spooked about letting them out tommorrow as I have no run. I have been allowing them to free range on the 1.5 acres inside my fences.
Sure am glad to be able to vent here, thanks.

Sorry. Always welcome to vent. I am guessing you found no clues at all? No feathers? Just short on the count? Sounds like that doo poo you have found might be the only clue...and maybe the only one you need. When I deal with a hawk attack, I have always had feathers telling me something. Just a thought to share.

The dw just informed me that one of our other neighbors dogs was seen walking up our driveway. That neighbor usually keeps their dogs in kennels. I suppose I have some people to warn; if I see their dog and can get my shotgun before the dog gets off the property, they will be missing a dog.

You are welcome to vent anytime!
big_smile.png
I am sorry you are missing a chicken, I hope it is just hiding and you find soon.
fl.gif

Yes I would let your neighbor know their dog got out and was on your property. Good Luck! I hope it goes smoothly for you
thumbsup.gif

broody first comes to mind , then the hawks nesting not far away, honestly just because they dont appear to be looking doesn't mean they are not waiting for a perfect time.
then thoughts turn to dog.

You may want to set out a game camera and see what is happening when your not home, basically the only way you are going to be 100 % sure of what happens.

I hope you find her soon. but most broodys only comes around once a day to get fed.

Last edited:
It was the neighbors dog; they fessed up when I called. I did not expect finding out what had happened so easily. I was so po'd
somad.gif
, I told them if I saw the dog on my property I would be shooting. They requested the day to get a chain for the dog, and as I was leaving for the day I told them I would leave the girls in the coop.
The neighbor says they would like to compensate for the lost chicken, but I can think of nothing that would make this alright.

Back
Top Bottom