Missing toe. Healing time? *graphic photos in post*

Ladobaze

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Lexington, KY
I have a hen who woke up with a toe missing. Not sure how it happened. It’s been three or four days now. We have soaked her in a Epsom salt bath, sprayed some antiseptic spray on her and bandaged her up. I change her bandage daily. I’m wondering what an average healing time might be. I’m a first time chicken owner and have never had to deal with any injuries to my girls. This is the first (and on my fav chicken, no less!). I’m not currently concerned about infection, but I am paying close attention for it. My hen seems to be eating and drinking fine as I am keeping it close to her, but just lays around all day doing nothing and isn’t acting herself. All to be expected but I’m just curious if anyone has any idea of a timeline of how long it might take to heal. I was going to get more hens to add to my flock but I don’t want to get any until she is fully healed. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• FB571A11-1B1C-4C25-BEFA-E9BF36645AA0.jpeg
    FB571A11-1B1C-4C25-BEFA-E9BF36645AA0.jpeg
    376.8 KB · Views: 11
  • EC032ACD-B148-4EAD-916D-4DF24FDC6449.png
    EC032ACD-B148-4EAD-916D-4DF24FDC6449.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 25F53028-0BAC-4F52-8240-C6D156EE36B6.jpeg
    25F53028-0BAC-4F52-8240-C6D156EE36B6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
I have a hen who woke up with a toe missing. Not sure how it happened.
Poor thing.

This might have been a rat, they are known to do this to fowl at night.

I’m just curious if anyone has any idea of a timeline of how long it might take to heal.

Chickens do generally heal very fast, so I would expect about 2-3 weeks provided there will not occur any infection.

Edit: I don't think that these pebbles are the adequate surface for her injured foot to walk on. Better have her walking on short grass or even a towel to prevent dirt or sand from adhering to the lesion.

Last edited:
Thank you! That gives me a nice little idea on time. I had zero clue. Also, she’s never on these pebbles, always in grass or her coop with pine shavings. Literally just there for the photo at that time. Put her down, snapped a photo and picked the poor thing right back up. :)

Poor thing.

This might have been a rat, they are known to do this to fowl at night.

Chickens do generally heal very fast, so I would expect about 2-3 weeks provided there will not occur any infection.

Edit: I don't think that these pebbles are the adequate surface for her injured foot to walk on. Better have her walking on short grass or even a towel to prevent dirt or sand from adhering to the lesion.

It does seem like a rat might be possible. If rats are a problem, I would get a locking rat bait station, that could be placed outside the coop or in a cage where chickens cannot get to. Some rats are after the feed, while some are meat eaters. Keep the feed up at night. Bromadialone or Just One Bite is one that cleared my problem a few years ago in an old barn.

Back
Top Bottom