Mississauga, Ontario chicken by-law

So, I suck at remembering to make phone calls - email or messages here are better for me. Keep me posted! I'm out of two the last two weeks of August though!

Great job on getting the attention drawn to the issue Mar and BAWC!! I just read the article posted at mississauga.com!!

Hello anyone out there from Mississauga,
I now have a summons to appear in Ontario court over my chickens on Aug 22nd. As a result, I've started a petition to garner support for backyard chickens and took paper copies for signatures at the local farmers market today. 236 signatures so far. Please sign the petition as I need all the support I can get.
In case you wanted to see my few seconds of fame in the Mississauga newspaper, please read:
http://www.mississauga.com/news-story/4021442-residents-wants-city-to-allow-backyard-chickens/

If you can sign my petition and pass it on to others, that would be great. The link is: (http://chn.ge/188C405)
thanks, Marianne

Must be an absolute utopia where you live if the court system wastes its time on "chicken" infractions! Imagine a city with zero burglaries, no robberies, no drug problems, absolutely crime-free...except for those troublesome chicken owners!

I have had chickens for several years in Mississauga and had no problems with neighbors. I told everyone around me about them, made sure that their pens were clean, used manure for my garden and had great fun with them when in the garden. I had only 4 hens at any one time. To me they are social animals, love a pattern, have individual personalities and offer as much interaction as domestic pets.
Most urbanites who like birds will keep them in good conditions. I had a light for them during the winter to keep them housed warm and gauged cold by state of water in the morning. Never needed more than one bulb.
For me, keeping chickens is a health issue. I like to support humane animal treatment and avoid hormone additives that are given to factory farmed hens.
We should be changing bylaws to admit keeping of animals in city spaces. With climate change, water shortages, the days of pesticide laden lawns manicured by weed and feed and homogenized by instant landscapes we ought to be reverting to more sustainable methods of landscaping. My chickens had plenty of bugs to pick and were great workers in their run.
I've had to send them to a friendly out of town location until this law is changed.

Hi Marianne. How did you do about the bylaw infraction? Any chance there will be a change in it? What will you do with your hens. This is of interest to me as I've had to do the same for the welfare of my flock. Parting with them was tough.

Hi Ormond, it sounds like we have similar ideals and yes the bylaw will be amended we will not stop until it is. If you would like to meet up you can contact either Marianne or myself as we are working together.

Back
Top Bottom