Misspelling

Pics
Ah, the old “me/I” issue. I have heard something like this out of people: “Jack and I’s hair was too long so we got haircuts.” How about “Jack’s and my hair”, or even more simply, “our hair”.

As far as the other examples go,I was taught this way: “The teacher gave homework to everyone but Jack and I” Now take Jack out of the sentence. “The teacher gave homework to everyone but I.” Now try it the other way: “The teacher gave homework to everyone but Jack and me.” Again, remove Jack from the sentence. “The teacher gave homework to everyone but me.” Which one sounds better? In this example, “me” is correct.
Yes, I learned something similar. Take out the other person, and see which pronoun makes more sense. But some people think it is more formal to say "I," even in the objective. Well, it does sound more formal to say "everyone but I," but it is not really correct.

Ah, the old “me/I” issue. I have heard something like this out of people: “Jack and I’s hair was too long so we got haircuts.” How about “Jack’s and my hair”, or even more simply, “our hair”.

As far as the other examples go,I was taught this way: “The teacher gave homework to everyone but Jack and I” Now take Jack out of the sentence. “The teacher gave homework to everyone but I.” Now try it the other way: “The teacher gave homework to everyone but Jack and me.” Again, remove Jack from the sentence. “The teacher gave homework to everyone but me.” Which one sounds better? In this example, “me” is correct.

That's exactly how I try to explain to my family. Take the other person out of the sentence and see if it sounds right.

It's because it's a place and not a breed. The breed, if you are French and from Marans is Black Marans.
I have the same issue with my name. My last name is Starrs. The second "s" stays regardless if it is just me or my whole family. So many people keeping dropping it, even friends we have known for years. :he Grrr

Double negatives are perfectly acceptable in certain forms of English, but generally not in Standard English (if such a thing truly exists). And they are used in some other languages like French: Je ne comprends pas.
They're used in Italian, too.
:plbb

And by the way.... gotten (with an E) has always been fine with me, when used with "have" or "had".
I wish I could have gotten to know you.
Is it the word itself, or the spelling "gotton" that is incorrect?
Gotton sounds like a poorly written "got on" as in "got on well together" but I've never seen it as a replacement for got or gotten, which I've heard on both continents.
Well, it depends.
In most English dictionaries the word gotton is given as an Americanisation of the past tense of get. I don't think I ever heard it used when I was in the UK. Why bother when got will do the job?
I prefer my English un-Americanised.:cool:
Toss that dictionary. It's full of lies. :old It's rubbish/trash... whatever you want to call it. :lau

One must actually like cooked cabbage in order to think so. :sick
Growing up I could not be forced to eat cooked cabbage in any form other than sauerkraut. As an adult, I understand that my mother cooked everything to death. Last year I learned that cabbage fried in bacon grease is delicious if not over cooked.

Back
Top Bottom