Misspelling

Pics
I don't think it matters how they are pronounced. Marans is the name of the breed. Even if you only have one, it is still a Marans. Not a Maran.

It's sort of like our word "driver's license." You don't have a licen. You have a license. It's late, maybe I'll think of a better example tomorrow, lol. 😔
Since this is a thread about misspelling, it is actually "driver license," not driver's license ..... :plbb At least in Missouri ..... Check your purse, or wallet !

Now, I've seen 2 variations from different states, the above mentioned "driver's license" and "driving license." I'm really not a grammar expert, so I really don't know which is correct ? All three of them ? :idunno

Since this is a thread about misspelling, it is actually "driver license," not driver's license ..... :plbb At least in Missouri ..... Check your purse, or wallet !

Now, I've seen 2 variations from different states, the above mentioned "driver's license" and "driving license." I'm really not a grammar expert, so I really don't know which is correct ? All three of them ? :idunno
It seems that all three would be correct. “Driver’s license” - the license belongs to the driver. “Driving license” - a license to drive. I would think “Driver license” would be the same as a “driving license”. I will be checking my license as soon as I get a chance to see what I’ve got.

Abbreviations annoy me. I don’t know why. But do you really save that much time typing “ty” instead of ”thank you?”
^This. Times a million. And the people who type a number for words? Don't get me started. It gives me a headache, seriously. B4 and u for you. I'm starting to twitch...

But wouldn't the 's' be silent if it were pronounced in French?
Yes, I know French and English are different, but Faverolles and Marans are French words so I should think they would be pronounced in the French manner in English. (?)

In French you would not hear the 's'. I pronounce Faverolles and Marans without the 's' (unless they are plural). I'm going to look up the proper pronunciation though.

Okay, so this is what I found for Marans on two different websites:

"The French pronounce it mah-rahn. Neither syllable has an accent, and the "s" is silent in both the singular and plural forms. Most Americans pronounce it Mah-RANS, with the accent on the second syllable."

"'Marans' is always spelled in the plural. A single chicken is a 'Marans' and two chickens are 'Marans.'
And the 's' is silent. It’s spelled 'Marans,' but it’s pronounced, 'Muh-ran.' In America, we pronounce the 'ran' as in “I ran away.” (The French have a more elegant pronunciation, as with most words)."

I found this for Faverolles:

“Faverolles” is always spelled with an “s” at the end, both in the singular and the plural. And the “s” is always silent.
So, in both the singular and the plural, you pronounce “Faverolles” as “Fa-ver-ol.” The “a” is short, as in “apple” and the “o” is long as in “open.” Some Americans pronounce the “a” long instead, as in the word “favor.”
You’ll find in the U.S. that many people will spell the singular “Faverolles” as “Faverolle.” And people will voice the final “s” on the plural Faverolles. Technically, all of this is incorrect, but it’s seemed to have taken hold in America, nevertheless, as these changes sound more natural to our English-speaking ears.

Back
Top Bottom