MISTER misters

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
Good morning all, after reading about some of your AWESOME mister ideas I jumped in with both feet. I'm going to install 12 mist nozzles in the coop run area and as long as I have all the plastic pipes on hand I'm going to install a mist system on the outside condenser coils of our AC unit to help reduce the load on the AC cooling compressor. The above photos sho the before coop area and hopefully you will see the after a bit later today. 20200711_082302.jpg 20200711_082239.jpg

20200711_160819.jpg 20200711_160749.jpg
The above pics show a completed and working misting system...it seems to be a winning coop cooling system rather than a chicken cooling system..the fans running in the coop are drawing cooler air in and dropped the inside temperature from 93.5 to 90 in less than an hour. My only real concern right now is whether the bedding is getting moist or not. After taking the above pictures I rotated the misters from straight out to 45 degrees down..I have a mechanical timer that only runs for 2 hours and will check the bedding for moisture. Overall I am pleased with the installation however it needs more clamps on the pipe but all in all it seems to function well.

View attachment 2239065View attachment 2239068
The above pics show a completed and working misting system...it seems to be a winning coop cooling system rather than a chicken cooling system..the fans running in the coop are drawing cooler air in and dropped the inside temperature from 93.5 to 90 in less than an hour. My only real concern right now is whether the bedding is getting moist or not. After taking the above pictures I rotated the misters from straight out to 45 degrees down..I have a mechanical timer that only runs for 2 hours and will check the bedding for moisture. Overall I am pleased with the installation however it needs more clamps on the pipe but all in all it seems to function well.
Do they like it?

We are close to the ocean near Corpus Christi....good news I can not detect and abnormal moisture in the coop or bedding. I am going to monitor it 2-3 times daily. The lowest vents are 18" above the bottom of the coop and today it is 100 outside and 93 inside the coop. I was really looking to cool the run and have a cooler place outside for the girls...the coop cooler is a real bonus.

. I'm going to install 12 mist nozzles in the coop run area and as long as I have all the plastic pipes on hand I'm going to install a mist system on the outside condenser coils of our AC unit to help reduce the load on the AC cooling compressor. .

Do not do this to your AC condensing unit. It is specifically designed to be air cooled and not saturated with water. Plus, you won't reduce the load on the unit, the cooling load is based on how much heat you need to remove from the space. A lower outside temperature MAY improve efficiency at higg temps but I expect it will will just cause unforeseen problems.

Misting the chicken area will be great! I would be careful of too much misting and getting wet chickens. I would add misters in one shaded area and then the chickens can choose to go to it, kind of like chicks and a heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom