mite cure NOT TOXIC TO BEES

dgh

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 16, 2008
I found mites on a chicken so I will be treating the entire flock. carbaryl dusting powder is extremely toxic to bees (which I have) so I am looking for an alternative NOT TOXIC TO BEES.

will injectable Ivermectin (5 drops orally) work???

Last edited:
Carbaryl also has a lifetime withdrawal on eggs and meat per FARAD.

Any insecticide is going to be toxic to bees....if they are exposed to it.

that's out. I bought syringes on Ebay (100 oral) so that I can line up ready to apply dosages of 5 drops Ivermectin per bird. 60+ birds, have to be streamlined or it will take too long. I will treat bedding with Food Grade Diatomatious earth. Im open to any other suggestions.

that's out. I bought syringes on Ebay (100 oral) so that I can line up ready to apply dosages of 5 drops Ivermectin per bird. 60+ birds, have to be streamlined or it will take too long. I will treat bedding with Food Grade Diatomatious earth. Im open to any other suggestions.
DE will not eliminate an infestation.....it might help prevent another one tho.

If the mites are the kind that live in the coop structure, and only come out to feed on the birds at night, you'll have to treat the coop too.

Not sure about ivermectin.....@casportpony has done copious research on insecticides.

I will ask @casportpony . Injectable ivermenctin orally works like magic on leg mite.

my first chickens had leg mites. thank you to the person who sold them to me. i used petroleum jelly , wd -40, kerosene, olive oil and finally injectable ivermectin orally which was the only thing that made even the smallest dent and it in fact eliminated them in days. That was almost 15 years ago. omg

I found mites on a chicken so I will be treating the entire flock. carbaryl dusting powder is extremely toxic to bees (which I have) so I am looking for an alternative NOT TOXIC TO BEES.

will injectable Ivermectin (5 drops orally) work???
I use ivermectin for lice, but have not tried using it for any type of mite, but it sure could work.

-Kathy

DE will not eliminate an infestation.....it might help prevent another one tho.

If the mites are the kind that live in the coop structure, and only come out to feed on the birds at night, you'll have to treat the coop too.

Not sure about ivermectin.....@casportpony
 has done copious research on insecticides.

All I know about toxicity of pesticides is what I've read, and it appears that most pesticides are highly toxic to bees. I think someone that raises chickens and keeps bees might be able to help better than I can? A question I would have for then is how toxic to bees is permethrin if sprayed in a coop and on the birds? I get that if sprayed on plants that it could kill on contact, or worse, bee takes it back to the hive, but is it really that big a risk if used just in the coop and birds?

-Kathy

my first chickens had leg mites. thank you to the person who sold them to me. i used petroleum jelly , wd -40, kerosene, olive oil and finally injectable ivermectin orally which was the only thing that made even the smallest dent and it in fact eliminated them in days. That was almost 15 years ago. omg
Yep, I got them the same way........a couple applications of bag balm knocked 'em right out.

All I know about toxicity of pesticides is what I've read, and it appears that most pesticides are highly toxic to bees. I think someone that raises chickens and keeps bees might be able to help better than I can? A question I would have for then is how toxic to bees is permethrin if sprayed in a coop and on the birds? I get that if sprayed on plants that it could kill on contact, or worse, bee takes it back to the hive, but is it really that big a risk if used just in the coop and birds?

-Kathy
I was wondering the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom