Mite infestation in coop with young chicks

tstmard

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
I noticed I have mites everywhere in my chicken coop today. I believe all the little wild birds spread them to my chickens when they were going in the coop this past week when it was really rainy. I can say day before yesterday they weren't there because I candled the eggs my broodies have been sitting on and there were no mites. Today they are everywhere, so much that I got them all over me too.
So my big question is how do I safely treat the coop, chickens and chicks that hatched on the 17th of this month? The mites are a brown grey color.

I noticed I have mites everywhere in my chicken coop today. I believe all the little wild birds spread them to my chickens when they were going in the coop this past week when it was really rainy. I can say day before yesterday they weren't there because I candled the eggs my broodies have been sitting on and there were no mites. Today they are everywhere, so much that I got them all over me too.
So my big question is how do I safely treat the coop, chickens and chicks that hatched on the 17th of this month? The mites are a brown grey color.

Brown Grey. Are you sure they are not lice? Sevin dust or poultry dust is good. Can you post a pic of one?

For some reason it won't load the picture. I guess they could be described as black too. They are not red though and when squashed they don't leave behind any blood smear. And they don't resemble any lice I've ever seen.
So those products are safe to use on and around tiny chicks?

The one I posted is... I used it with my babies when they were 2 days old. The lady and the feed and seed store said some humans drink it as a detox... Go figure...lol

Back
Top Bottom