Mite infesttion

Wjpeaches

Songster
5 Years
Aug 28, 2018
Need major help. I took my girl, scuttlebutt, to the vet because she was inactive and looked I'll. Dr.indicated that she had a severe mite infestation and some small maggots. The Dr. anesthetized her, thoroughly cleaned her, and treated her. The Dr. just called and said her bloodwork was excellent, overall health looked good, just those darn mites. Although she will continue to treat her, I need to know the best safe remedy to put on her, (spray? Topical?), and liquid solution to clean and disinfect the yard. I have 2 other hens, so I will be treating them as well. My girls sleep in an old bedroom at night and free range throughout the day. Please help. My girls mean the world to me. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your hen. Where are you located? Where were the maggots in your hen? Maggots usually are a sign of flystrike in warm weather where they enter the skin around a poopy vent or through a wound in the skin. It can be deadly. I hope your hen recovers from that. Usually antibiotics are used, the site is cleaned or soaked daily, and disinfected.

Mites can be treated with permethrin spray or powder, and treated at 7 day intervals to get the newly hatched larvae. The bedding should be removed and taken far away or burned. The coop, nests, and roosts should be treated with permethrin spray, paying attention to places where they can hide. Another good product, but pricey is Elector PSP can be found online.

Thanks so very much. Found out she does not have maggots, just mites. I live in los Angeles. Initially, I was worried about Newcastle, but she didn't show signs. I've used permethrin in the past with success. I started scrubbing all surfaces with a diluted disinfected bleach. Started removing the top 1-2 inches of soil and all bedding. Kudos to my vet in West L.A. They specialize in all birds Saturday morning will be a busy day. Again, thanks so much. Re flystike. One if my buns had a really bad case with huge wounds and tons of maggots. Our exotic vet in Pasadena was great at eradicating all fly strike maggots and treated her with antibiotics. Her problem was poopy butt. Great that this vet specializes in rabbits.

Did your vet tell you what kind of mites they are? Some live only on the chickens, and some live in the cracks of the house and get on your chickens only occasionally.

Northern fowl mites spend their lives on the bird and only live a few weeks. They cannot survive in the environment. They are generally are seen on the breast, thighs and cloaca areas.

Red mites or roost mites can infest almost any bird, and wild birds can harbor them. They can survive off the chicken for nearly a year without feeding. They may be difficult to detect since they spend most of their lives off the host, only feeding at night while chickens are roosting. Treatment of the premises is therefore necessary to control these mites.

You can use permethrin dust to treat one, and the other needs some more intensive action, including thorough cleaning and treatment of your coop several times.

Back
Top Bottom