Mite/Lice Infestation, cant seem to get rid of it

silkieluver_07

Songster
11 Years
Jan 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I had a mite problem around a month ago with my black rosecombs and I thought I was rid of them. I check my cockerel tonight and he is INFESTED with mites. He has scabs around his vent area and his comb and wattles are very pale. He has lost weight. I washed him with Adams Flea and Tick Shampoo and the water turned brown with mites. I feel like a horrible owner. I dont think the shampoo is working. I need stronger stuff. Is there anything for chickens (like frontline or an injectable?) It seems that in the fall all my birds start to get these infestations.

Ivermectin pour on for cattle..
1/2 cc for each bird----repeat in 10 days to kill any hatching eggs.
It works really well!

Thenn use sevin dust in the coop to help kill off any...

Last edited:
I have my birds perches made from treated lumber (Like a telephone pole) and this keeps the buggies away!
The mites also live where the bird lives so like a dog with fleas you cant just treat the dog.
You have to treat the perches, wallows, sunspots, bedding and anywhere else the birds go.
7dust or if you can remove the birds for a night use something stronger.
Bathe them ALL at once and do all of this the same day, then repeat in about two weeks to catch the next wave. May take several times to get em all gone.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

This is what I use once every 3-4 months, works wonders and no egg withdrawl time! It also worms the birds as well! You must make sure to get it only on the skin tho, if it gets on their feather fuzz its a total loss. It can be difficult parting their feathers to give them the dosage depending on the bird. Sometimes it helps having 2 ppl one to hold the bird and help part the feathers and another to give the dosage.

You have to repeat Adams in 7 to 10 days to get the eggs. I believe Sevin gets the eggs the first time. Some use ivermectin but I was just reading how the dose you need is so high it's close to toxic. I'd get the spray and spray the coop -- they hide in cracks and litter.

It may not be possible to eliminate them, inly control them. If you kill every last one, the next day a wild bird with them will no doubt fly over....

Quote:
Red .... I did not know you have to repeat the Ivermectin in 10 days. I thought it stayed in their system longer than 10 days, and that was why we toss the eggs for 2 weeks. Am I wrong about that? Shoot .....
barnie.gif
I did my fall worming about a month ago, and thought I had all possibilities (worms, mites, lice) covered by using Ivermectin.

Isn't there some kind of "dip," also? Like when you dip a dog for fleas? What is that stuff called?

ddawn, Are you saying the 1/2 cc dose will not kill lice and mites?

Thanks

Quote:
Red .... I did not know you have to repeat the Ivermectin in 10 days. I thought it stayed in their system longer than 10 days, and that was why we toss the eggs for 2 weeks. Am I wrong about that? Shoot .....
barnie.gif
I did my fall worming about a month ago, and thought I had all possibilities (worms, mites, lice) covered by using Ivermectin.

Isn't there some kind of "dip," also? Like when you dip a dog for fleas? What is that stuff called?

Thanks

I think the previous posters are getting a little mixed up. It's not required to repeat ivermectin in 10 days, she may have meant sevin dust for the coop, nests etc... Also, 1/2cc will kill lice/mites on standard size chickens and 1/4cc on smaller chickens....no repeat dosing is required.

Quote:
Well, I had my rosecombs in conditioning cages with a pair in each. So no wild birds could get in the shed. Every time I'd change the litter I'd put sevin on them and in the new bedding. I did some research and think that it is the northern fowl mite that is giving me problems.

Quote:
barnie.gif

Thanks

Hi! I was told to repeat the dose in 10days to kill any hatching eggs.. cause the ivermectin does not kill the eggs...
Not sure now though!!..lol
Anyways i did it and my birds survived..
lol.png

****ETA: i just read Dawgs post... i would NOT repeat treatment in 10 days... i made a boo boo... ****

I use 1/2 cc on my birds.. i got the dose info from Kellyhm in a post that she made a while back....(shes a vet).. and its what she does for her birds. So i figured it was safe..
wink.png

And the 1/2 cc dose did kill those those little suckers dead...
She said she uses 1/2 cc on LF and 1/4 cc on bantams..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom