Mite/Lice Infestation, cant seem to get rid of it

Quote:
Red .... I did not know you have to repeat the Ivermectin in 10 days. I thought it stayed in their system longer than 10 days, and that was why we toss the eggs for 2 weeks. Am I wrong about that? Shoot .....
barnie.gif
I did my fall worming about a month ago, and thought I had all possibilities (worms, mites, lice) covered by using Ivermectin.

Isn't there some kind of "dip," also? Like when you dip a dog for fleas? What is that stuff called?

ddawn, Are you saying the 1/2 cc dose will not kill lice and mites?

Thanks

I think the previous posters are getting a little mixed up. It's not required to repeat ivermectin in 10 days, she may have meant sevin dust for the coop, nests etc... Also, 1/2cc will kill lice/mites on standard size chickens and 1/4cc on smaller chickens....no repeat dosing is required.

OOh..... i repeated my dose!! OOps!
th.gif

Guess i wont do THAT again...
hide.gif

Quote:
Red .... I did not know you have to repeat the Ivermectin in 10 days. I thought it stayed in their system longer than 10 days, and that was why we toss the eggs for 2 weeks. Am I wrong about that? Shoot .....
barnie.gif
I did my fall worming about a month ago, and thought I had all possibilities (worms, mites, lice) covered by using Ivermectin.

Isn't there some kind of "dip," also? Like when you dip a dog for fleas? What is that stuff called?

ddawn, Are you saying the 1/2 cc dose will not kill lice and mites?

Thanks

Hi! I was told to repeat the dose in 10days to kill any hatching eggs.. cause the ivermectin does not kill the eggs...
Not sure now though!!..lol
Anyways i did it and my birds survived..
lol.png

****ETA: i just read Dawgs post... i would NOT repeat treatment in 10 days... i made a boo boo... ****

I use 1/2 cc on my birds.. i got the dose info from Kellyhm in a post that she made a while back....(shes a vet).. and its what she does for her birds. So i figured it was safe..
wink.png

And the 1/2 cc dose did kill those those little suckers dead...
She said she uses 1/2 cc on LF and 1/4 cc on bantams..

Thankyou, I purchased some ivermecton today and willuse the correct dosage. Do the mites just fall off? Or should I rebath them?

Yes, the mites just fall off..
I personally would NOT bathe them.. because you may wash off the ivermectin.. (dont know what others will tell you though..)
I put the ivermectin drops on the SKIN on the back of the neck... and also a few drops under the wings..where there is skin showing.
I would also sevin dust the whole coop area well. and repeat that dusting to kill off any hatching eggs.

Last edited:
Quote:
I will try to find sevin dust here. It is very hard to find so usually I have to settle for a poultry dust powder at TSC. I'll post results once everyone has been treated.

Quote:
I will try to find sevin dust here. It is very hard to find so usually I have to settle for a poultry dust powder at TSC. I'll post results once everyone has been treated.

Sevin dust can be found at any home improvement store and walmart...about $10 for the large canister.

Quote:

Sevin dust can be found at any home improvement store and walmart...about $10 for the large canister.

Our Walmart doesn't carry it, trust me I've asked....
hmm.png

silkieluver...that's odd that your walmart doesnt carry sevin dust. I just bought a canister from ours a month ago. I guess it's because our growing season is longer down here...now they all have halloween and Christmas stuff filling their stores up. I saw some sevin in Lowes the other day. You might be able to go online (walmart) and order it as well, not sure though.

I am wondering about the Dust used for mites.... does anyone worry the Chickens will eat any of it if they root through the wood chips or is it safe for them if they do? Sorry to sound stupid but I have never used the dust as I have been concerned about this .... I have a few bantams and I worry about them. Thanks

Quote:
I was scared of this also. But I must say that I'ved used it on both my hogs and chickens (when I only had 5 chicks) before and did not have any problems. Both hogs and chickens ate some that fell on the ground while I was dusting and I thought oh no they will surley die. But neither one ever showed any signs of sickness.
Checked them the next day and couldn't find a single lice.

Back
Top Bottom