Mite problem! Help please

MyHappyGirls

Songster
7 Years
Sep 11, 2016
Soquel, Ca
Happy New Year!!!

I have four hens in my backyard. They have a little playhouse for their nests and bedtime roost.

They all have northern fowl mites(I am almost positive). They have little dark mites running around their vents and basically around their bodies, they also have some red mites(I’m pretty sure these are the same mites but the red ones have eaten and the dark ones haven’t eaten yet).

When I first spotted them two months ago, I cleaned their entire area dusted everyone and everything with poultry dust, and repeated everything (removing all hay and dusting everyone and everything again one week later.

Things seemed ok for a couple weeks and then they had the mites again! This time I gave them a dose of Ivermectin paste just a pea sized amount for the regular sized girls and 1/2 for the silkie. That really helped the two older girls(2 yrs and 5 years old). But the babies(9months old) got the mites bad again! So I redosed with ivermectin paste yesterday and gave one of the babies a bath. I also sprayed down their whole house and backyard with Ortho spinosad spray.
Today I still see mites!!!
I’m freaking out because we love to hold our girls and hang out with them but lately every time we get near them we end up with mites on ourselves.
I appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Permethrin 10 spray works very well on both mites and lice. For mites, the larvae can hatch out every 5-7 days, so treat at 7 day intervals until they are gone. Permethrin is great to use on coops, nests, and facilities. A quart or liter mixed with water will make many, many gallons, and can be used with a spray bottle or garden sprayer. Mites may hide in hay or straw, and sometimes you can bring them in on it. Here are 2 good links to read about mites:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

https://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

Back
Top Bottom