Mite treatments

Ziggy1973

Songster
Apr 17, 2020
Geneseo, Illinois
I'm not sure if it's best to ask a related question on a previous post or just start a new one. I'm dealing with mites, both red and scaly leg. I live in West central Illinois so winter's on it's way! I've already cleaned and sprayed the entire coop with permethrin and getting ready to put it back together. I had ordered a product to spray on the birds but didn't know if i should do that in cold temperatures. All this week it's supposed to be in the 60's. Should i just avoid sprays and use powder? And is rubbing oil/vaseline on their legs ok in cold temps? Again, many thanks for the guidance!

I think this week will be glorious! Also fine to spray the coop and birds, at night, later in the week when it's positively balmy for November. We'll be spraying it here too.
I've never had to treat for scaly leg mites, fortunately.
Mary
Thanks! I'm thinking of spraying them and then dusting them with wood ash after it dries. I've heard that wood ash becomes caustic if it gets wet, though. Are you familiar with this? Thanks for the help and yes, this week is going to be wonderful!

For a severe case of mite I have used Exolt Fluralaner 10 mg. Given twice thru the waterer a week apart. No more mites. If it's not that bad I would go with DE.
For the scaly legs spray them with oil, vaseline. I use Balistol oil for animals. Does a real good job.

Old timers told me abt 20 yrs ago when I got into Homing Pigeons, there are mites that will get into your building & literally live in the bare wood, or cracks in perches or where there are perches meeting the wall, etc. They recommend painting all surfaces & caulking cracks with paint over them, so there are no areas of any bare wood. I do have bare wood mahogany grated floors in the pigeon loft, but pigeons never sit on the floor. My chicken coop is painted everywhere, walls, ceiling, floor, perches, etc. I've used a spray called Bronco I got at Tractor Supply and sprayed my bird's feathers and rubbed them over in summer. Bronco helps with lice on pigeons, and I have sprayed the wood chip bedding for my chickens, but mites are a lot tougher insects, and chickens are different, in that they are on the floors a heck of a lot, but they also like to dustbathe outside as well as preen. Knowing that, I have created a spot for them to dustbathe, under their Gazebo so it doesn't get rained on & turn into a mudhole. In a "hole" I churned up, I added a mixture of fresh topsoil, safe playsand and diatomaceous earth. They love it and I haven't had any lice or mite issues. About every 6 months I have to mix up a new batch and replenish the hole.
One time I did have a bright idea of a dustbath indoors during winter months, tried it using a big concrete mixing pan. My advice, don't do it indoors, the dust it creates is so bad, gets the whole coop dirty & it's not healthy for our chickens or us to be breathing that in while in a contained indoor environment. I know it can be a challenge during rainy or snowy times, but try to create a covered yet airy, dry, outside dustbathing space, the chickens will love it and it will help keep them parasite free.

Back
Top Bottom