Mites + a (possibly) stupid question

fatcatx

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Northern California
So for the first time I discovered mites on my birds - what I believe to be Northern mites. Birds have been dusted and I’ll be spending my weekend cleaning the coop. Ugh!! I can see I have lots of company. Right now I’m pouring over the threads for advice and plans of attack.

My stupid question: why aren’t foggers/ bug bombs an option in treating mites in the coop? (Of course with no chickens around.) Seems like it would be easy and effective. I would think if you did it first thing in the morning with the whole day to air out it would be safe, but guessing not? Anyone know?

Also, how often can you safely dust birds?

This will tell you why we don't recommend foggers for coop mites. https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef643 Foggers won't get deep into cracks where the mites live. And the residue may not be healthy for chickens.

Permethrin and spinosad are both natural but extremely effective insecticides completely safe to use on and around chickens as often as necessary.

DE will not work on mites even if you could figure out how to get it in the crevices. Liquid spraying is what works with either of the two insecticides I mentioned. DE is merely pulverized exoskeletons of ancient sea creatures and has sharp edges like broken glass when viewed under magnification. It acts like broken glass in lungs when breathed in. It's dangerous for anything that has a habit of breathing, but the best you can expect from it as far as killing insects is for it to cause minor cuts as the insect crawls through the stuff.

DE will not work on mites even if you could figure out how to get it in the crevices. Liquid spraying is what works with either of the two insecticides I mentioned. DE is merely pulverized exoskeletons of ancient sea creatures and has sharp edges like broken glass when viewed under magnification. It acts like broken glass in lungs when breathed in. It's dangerous for anything that has a habit of breathing, but the best you can expect from it as far as killing insects is for it to cause minor cuts as the insect crawls through the stuff.
Okay. I figured I would ask. I know that it is used on potted plants to treat certain bugs, but as you mentioned, it would make sense that you would not want the chickens to breathe it in.

What percautions should we use when cleaning for mites? How do we make sure we don't bring them into our home or into our garage? And is it ever necessary to treat your yard if you've been composting before realizing you had mites?

What percautions should we use when cleaning for mites? How do we make sure we don't bring them into our home or into our garage? And is it ever necessary to treat your yard if you've been composting before realizing you had mites?
It might be helpful to start a new thread so someone can help answer your questions 😊

There is no way to prevent mites or other pests. The best option is not to treat unless you actually have mites. If you try to use anything as a preventative the pest usually develop a resistance to it. My advice would to treat only if needed and you actually see any mites, lice or any pest.

Go overboard on being as thorough as possible. Shop vac if you can, get every nook and cranny, etc. Better to spend an extra hour of work than to have to do it all over again (not that there is any guarantee). Also know which mite you are battling.

Mites are on wild birds so no way to create a barrier other than to not attract birds to your yard in general with extra scratch, seeds, and such. I'm not sure about the compost. I presume after a few days they disperse, but there may be eggs in it. Check the lifecycle of the mute you are battling to determine if it would be effective to bag and dispose. If it was added weeks ago it may be moot.

Personally if I find any mites, lice or any pests I treat immediately with permethrin. It does not kill the pests eggs so repeated weekly treatments are needed for 3 or 4 weeks which will kill them as they hatch out. You can use the poultry dust which is 0.25% permethrin, premixed sprays which are usually 0.50% permethrin or the concentrate where you mix your own. Permethrin also comes in different strengths. Here is a chart made by a BYC member. I use the concentrate. Currently I have permethrin 10. I mix for the 0.5% solution. There is no egg withdrawal period but not good for cats so if you have any cats keep them away while treating. I do use the poultry dust in my nest boxes. Good luck...
casportpony's PermethrinRatiosRev.jpg

Back
Top Bottom