Mites and fleas? What type of powder/spray to buy?

FarmerGrant011

Songster
8 Years
May 25, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
I was told that I need to get some powder or spray for my birds. They dont have anything (that I know of) and I would like to keep it that way. But I don't want to use anything bad (as in for the environment). Are there any organic or all natural powders or sprays for keeping mites and fleas away? This would help out alot!
big_smile.png

Grant

I use Y-Tex Gard Star Garden and Poultry Dust. Works Great. Put under the wings and place a pan of dirt and some sand in the pen for dust bathing and put the powder in that as well. This way, they treat theireselves. You can also use this powder on your garden for a multitude of bugs.

There is Poultry Protector. I have it and use it some for spraying the coop. But I don't know how effective it is.

I only tried using on chickens when they had an active infestation - I didn't realize they did until afterwards but it didn't get rid of it. I think it is a good preventative like DE but with an active infestation chemicals are needed.

Also if you have a woodstove, you can place ashes, DE, sand, and dirt in a concrete mixing tub or the like for them to dust bathe in. Keep it out of the rain.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom