Mites and Lice Problem, Please Help

cochins1088

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Southern Minnesota
I recently discovered lice all over my chickens after seeing extreme feather loss around their necks. So I bought Prozap and I started cleaning out the bedding (hay). While clean out the bedding and taking out old wooden nesting boexes, guess what else I believe I found, mites... tiny and black, looks like moving grains of pepper. I know mites are a bigger problem and I need advice on how to treat them cause my situation is a bit different then your average chicken coop. Our "coop" is a bunch of the big 6 feet tall dog kennel panels put together in our barn. The coop is 6 feet wide and about 30 feet long, and the chickens free range every other day from 3 to dusk. There are 21 chickens, and a section of of the coop is blocked off for 6 chicks ranging in 5 - 8 weeks. The reason I don't know how to treat, is that it's literally a giant metal dog kennel with wood and hay inside and out, surrouding the coop is piles of wood and haybales. I can't remove all the hay bales and wood and treat the entire barn. So any suggestions? Please don't be afraid to speak your mind, as my chickens have had these bugs bad for a while now and need the treatment soon, and they are loved pets so I don't want to lose any of them. Thanks.

Yes, I just put a bunch in one of those little plastic pools for them to dust themselves in, but many people say that it will help prevent infestations, but it will not treat them.

Non-chemical/ natural> DE!! I use a mechanical duster, but you can use your hands to spread DE around your coop. Diatomatious Earth. I haven't had mite/worms for 7 years using food grade DE. Initially you may have to use Sevin, but most of the time DE work fine. I have a 10 gallon tub filled with play sand and DE in each pen for my girls to 'bathe'. I have no mites. If you need some let me know.

Well like I said I just put some in, so are you saying if I just treat the chickens and keep the DE in, the mites shouldn't infest again, even though they are more than likely surrounding the coop.

Yes, that is my experience. I always have play sand and DE for them to dust 'bathe' in. I have to add sand/DE as they throw it out of the tub, more DE than sand. If the lice have nothing to feed on they will die and you won't have any more around. Good luck to you.

I punch holes in the lid of a jar fill with DE and use it like a shaker also have a duster (like the old bicycle tire pumps) Dust the birds under wings and on top. Then spread around floor and on hay bails. In the dust pan I mix ashes and DE 1/2 and 1/2. This is what I do if people call and say they have a problem can you come over. I have never had a problem myself. But I have always kept a dust pan full of DE and ashes For them. The ashes I get by burning logs letting the fire go out naturaly and sifting threw 1/4 hardware cloth (I don't have a wood stove) It is important to keep it dry or the ashes will clump. The bits of charcole left in it is good for the chickens to eat Help with poop smells. Sounds like you may need a couple of dust pans depending on how many chickens you have. I go by one for every 15.

Ok, Thanks for the advice, I guess the only true way to completely get rid of these is get a real coop away from the barn, so I guess lots more DE! and we'll see how that goes. I just had never even heard of lice or mites before I realized they were the reason my chickens were losing so many feathers and not growing them back. Compared to all the barn sparrows that live above them, I'm surprised an infestation didn't happen before now since I've had them for 5 years. Well anyways, Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom