Mites???? Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Heatherberry, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Heatherberry

Heatherberry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    I went into my coop this morning to let the girls out and I looked on the ground of the coop, which is dirt btw, and saw what I thought was mold growing on the ground. So I leaned down and touch it to see and low and behold the earth was moving. I thought that was odd. So I put it closer to my eyes and there were thousands of theses little teeney weeny , not white but sand colored, mite looking things.

I have never had any issues ever with parasites. I am wondering if they are baby red mites? I dont know.

What do I do? The girls look okay to me. But this "mold" is in several patches on their coop floor.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Heather

2. cocosandy

cocosandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    try poultry dust on them and repeat after a few days and a week. Check your birds in the vent and head areas to see if there is any buildup on the feathers that seems sort of gunky....also any peeling of the skin on the stomach...if you look real close you may see tiny dots moving.
    Poultry dust isnt going to hurt...so do that right away...dust the boxes and the floor and the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by