Mites in chickens?

TheyBeChillin

Chirping
Jun 5, 2022
Hello! There is a very sick fox hanging around my neighborhood that has mange. It’s missing half of its fur, it’s bitten its tail off, and it isn’t afraid of people. I saw it during the daytime as well. I was afraid for my chickens as they free range in the yard all throughout the day. Since I’ve seen the fox hanging around, I keep them locked up in their run. Is it possible that the chickens can get a disease from the fox? I know they can’t get mange, but I’m concerned they might get mites or some other bug from
it.

Hello! There is a very sick fox hanging around my neighborhood that has mange. It’s missing half of its fur, it’s bitten its tail off, and it isn’t afraid of people. I saw it during the daytime as well. I was afraid for my chickens as they free range in the yard all throughout the day. Since I’ve seen the fox hanging around, I keep them locked up in their run. Is it possible that the chickens can get a disease from the fox? I know they can’t get mange, but I’m concerned they might get mites or some other bug from
it.
The mites that cause mange are not the same as the avian mites that would infect chickens so I don't think that's a direct threat....but can you report the mangy fox to the local authorities so they can maybe get rid of the fox. I suppose the fox could be rabid or just very sick and/or hungry.

The mites that cause mange are not the same as the avian mites that would infect chickens so I don't think that's a direct threat....but can you report the mangy fox to the local authorities so they can maybe get rid of the fox. I suppose the fox could be rabid or just very sick and/or hungry.
I’m underage and still live with my parents. I was wanting my parents to report it, but they didn’t really want to. My mom isn’t sure who to report it to. I also know there is a lot of outdoor cats in the neighborhood that could easily get harmed by it. The people we could call are closed as of now, and my mom figured it’s gone by now. I think it hangs around because she spotted it in the woods the other day. I don’t know if it is rabid or not, but I know it’s definitely sick with something.

My mom isn’t sure who to report it to.
Department of Natural Resources would be the first place to try.
Do you live in the city or country or....?

I also know there is a lot of outdoor cats in the neighborhood that could easily get harmed by it.
Cats can definitely catch mange mites from a fox, if they aren't eaten first.

Department of Natural Resources would be the first place to try.
Do you live in the city or country or....?

Cats can definitely catch mange mites from a fox, if they aren't eaten first.
We live on the outskirts of a city. But surrounding us is there is a lot of country and farmland.

We live on the outskirts of a city. But surrounding us is there is a lot of country and farmland.
Typically you would contact animal control but I know for where I live that would be a wasted call. If there are farmers that live nearby to where it's been seen maybe ask one of them to keep an eye out for it so they can shoot it and put it out of it's misery and remove the threat.

Typically you would contact animal control but I know for where I live that would be a wasted call. If there are farmers that live nearby to where it's been seen maybe ask one of them to keep an eye out for it so they can shoot it and put it out of it's misery and remove the threat.
Unfortunately, since I live in a neighborhood, I don’t think anyone would shoot it

Back
Top Bottom