Mites?? Lice?? OOOOOOH!

chooniecat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
central ohio
I have 10 chickens in a covered shed(6'x10')with 8'x12'outside run. I clean 1x week(simply empty straw ,add new straw at end of day) I was in w/chickens today and started itching(i know-i am probably bad) and noticed teenie tiny things crawling on me(i treated them with powder 2x a couple yrs ago because of "same" thing) is this happening simply because i have not cleaned often enough or is it something that you just keep under control and they carry them anyhow?? they are fully feathered and appear unirritated. i am going to powder them/shed in the morning and let them free range. GROSS.
sad.png
tongue.gif

Pine shavings wood smell nice also-to me anyhow-hope it wouldn't bother chix. had chix for 6 years-think I would know this stuff by now. have been fortunate with their health other than the mites. just went out again to feel for an egg and got mites on my arm. did not note a THING until this morning. yuck.

I don't use straw because of mites. They will "hangout" inside the straw and then crawl up on your chickens at night.

I put food grade DE in their shavings and at their favorite dusting spots- that way it acts as a preventative. My flock share the yard (and the seed on the ground) with wild birds all the time, so I know I have a high risk of getting mites...but I haven't had mites in years.

Pine shavings can be spendy....but I also get shavings from a local cabinet maker for free (he loves me, cuz he doesn't have to pay to throw it out).

Look up deep litter system. No need to clean out the coop every week. Just have to keep it dry. water is your enemy with that system.

Good luck
Sandra

Back
Top Bottom