Mites & Lice

Chickens143

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 18, 2012
New jersey
ugh its the subject no chicken personw ants to talk about
he.gif
the nasty little creatures that live on your chicken.
So i usually dust my chickens every time i clean the cage (once a week), but sometimes i look and see
that my rooster might have mites or lice. i could see the eggs and the lice/mites once, and i treated it right away with powder and
spray to make sure(making sure i didnt spray it in the vent). the next week i checked, i only saw the eggs, but no bugs.
i am going to spray it again to make sure the eggs will die.
I am going to show him in the fair, and i wante to know, will giving my chicken a ice bath get rid of the bugs?
thanks!!
smile.png

You didn't say what products you are using to dust and spray. Sevin Dust works well and any spray or dip containing Permethrin is excellent. Treatments should be 10 days apart to kill the hatchlings as you cannot kill the eggs. A cold bath would be torture for the bird. You should bath the bird in warm water using dog shampoo or baby shampoo as they are milder than human products meant for adults. A capfull of bleach will improve the luster of the feathers. Do it on a warm day and set him out in a small pen on a rug or clean surface to dry. Don't cook the bird in the direct sun. Good luck......Pop

Then what do i do with the eggs? will they hatch again if i don't do something?
so giving them a bath will help get the bugs of the bird?
I bought a spray that you mix together at a poultry show.
ohh and sorry, i meant "nice bath" not "ice bath"
tongue.png

haha.....
im in the 4-H chicken club, but i didn't get to ask the leader the question.

The eggs will hatch. That's why you treat the bird again in 10 days. The bath will get rid of some of them, but not all, that's why you treat them.The main reason for the bath, as directed, is to have a nice clean fowl that smells good and has shiney feathers.. You still didn't say what kind of spray you bought........Pop

Back
Top Bottom