Mites, Mites, and More Mites

Missy83617Girl

Chirping
Apr 6, 2018
I am desperate. I have read thread after thread, article after article for my chicken mites which are also loving me. Perhaps I am too impatient. I have used dish soap/vegie oil water spray, I have used lots of DE, I have used essential oils and my hand is covered with mites when I just pet the top of my new chicken mama's head. Also a chick hatched today and inside the shell was covered with stuck mites. This is horrible. It does not appear the natural way is helping unless this takes weeks to clear up. I have cleaned the coop out then sprayed it with dishsoap/water/oil mix and DE it. I have used DE on the chickens and dawn dishsoap and water to spray them. I hear Frontline will do the trick and I am about to go that route. Not sure about the permethrin and how to use it, when and where. HELP!!!!!!

I am desperate. I have read thread after thread, article after article for my chicken mites which are also loving me. Perhaps I am too impatient. I have used dish soap/vegie oil water spray, I have used lots of DE, I have used essential oils and my hand is covered with mites when I just pet the top of my new chicken mama's head. Also a chick hatched today and inside the shell was covered with stuck mites. This is horrible. It does not appear the natural way is helping unless this takes weeks to clear up. I have cleaned the coop out then sprayed it with dishsoap/water/oil mix and DE it. I have used DE on the chickens and dawn dishsoap and water to spray them. I hear Frontline will do the trick and I am about to go that route. Not sure about the permethrin and how to use it, when and where. HELP!!!!!!
@Wyorp Rock ,@Eggcessive , @azygous

I use the natural mite killer spray on my chickens and it kills the mites in 24 hours! I spray around the vent and under the wings. I add sevin dust to my chickens bedding and spray the interior of the coop with more spray when I clean it out.
CD0572CA-5369-4BC5-92CC-2EFAD4C8F070.jpeg

I also add garlic powder to my chickens’ feed whenever I refill their feeders and it helps to repel mites as well.

Whenever you see mites, you must use mite sprays, mite dust, Frontline, or Permethrin. They should kill the mites.
To completely eliminate or kill instantly, you have to go the long route.
Wash your birds. All of them. Thoroughly. I do a thing once or twice a year where I just wash every single bird, and during that time I will have about 30-50. It's a healthy practice.
So, first I put the bird in a bucket of warm water and use cat flea/mite/tick shampoo and rub it into the whole bird, especially vent areas. Make sure to clean all the feathers. This water should turn cloudy brown. Good, that means it's working. That is dead mites, eggs, and poop. Depending upon the severity of mites, you may have to change the water for each bird, or not at all.
Next you move the bird to another bucket of warm water and Permethrin. Let sit. The mites are drowning and floating away, and the Permethrin is working.

You will have to do every bird, and it will take hours.
However, the effects are instantaneous. The bird looks more relaxed and you may actually see an increase in egg production and productivity. That sick, lethargic looking bird may suddenly perk up. Suddenly, all the birds will look clean and shiny.
If mites persist, change all bedding as well. They like to hide there. If you have roosters, know that they spread mites like the plague.

I use the natural mite killer spray on my chickens and it kills the mites in 24 hours! I spray around the vent and under the wings. I add sevin dust to my chickens bedding and spray the interior of the coop with more spray when I clean it out. View attachment 1764941
Huh. I may have to try that!
I also use Mite and Lice Bird Spray.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042LGX6S/?tag=backy-20 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006MZGF2E/?tag=backy-20
These are the products I am using this spring. Worst year ever for mites after the wettest 8 months I have ever seen. August to March was rough. Flooding killed Dust bathing areas I set up. I have been thoroughly cleaning one coop a day (over 20 coops, brooders, cages) Take everything out, spray it down with the spray. every inch, floor, walls, ceiling, nesting boxes, roosting bars top and bottom all sides... let it air out for 20 minutes or more, add bedding and apply the dust. Usually takes up an entire morning or afternoon. With a few exceptions I have not treated the chickens directly. But when I do treat chickens directly I put the dust in a pillow case then put the chicken in the Pillow case with its head outside of the pillow case and they start flapping their wings which gets the dust all over them. If they have Scaley mites I spray their legs and then add Vaseline.

Can't say if my way is the best but it's what I do and so far I am happy with results.

If you are really, really desperate, and don't wish to mess around with half measures, probably needing to treat the premises several times, then bite the bullet and spend the $$ and get this. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042L8S7A/?tag=backy-20

I swear by it. The price is off-putting, but when you see how concentrated it is and how little it takes to make a gallon of spray, you'll see that it's a very good value.

I use it for everything, leg mites, lice, coop mites, insects around the run, and it's perfectly safe for chickens. The best thing is one treatment does the trick, killing eggs along with the adult mites.

Back
Top Bottom