Mites on 1 wk old chicks

Quote:
Lol - sorry about the itching. I'm actually a nurse and the whole thought of mites in my house has kind of put my brain on overload. I know there are natural mites on everyone but I don't want MORE! I'm considering keeping the chicks & their light out on the back deck tonight. I'm a little iffy on having them in the house by the furniture. I may relent though. I'm worried that something will happen to them outside. I've got towels over the bins but still... Yeah, I imagine I'll be bringing them in. I won't sleep for worry about them.
I'll dust them again next Friday I think. My husband actually saw the first mite about 3 days ago. We tried adding a dust bath to the run but the chicks didn't go for it. We're building a new run now that includes some areas of loose dirt to hopefully better facilitate their natural mite control. They do just instinctively know about dust bathing right?!
Thank you so very much for your help & advice on all of this, I really appreciate it! We're getting a few more chicks next Saturday that are all between 2-4 wks. Do I need to do anything special for/with them due to the current situation?

Back
Top Bottom