Mites on my 1 and 2 week old chicks!?! Never had this before!

MakMurrayFarm

Chirping
May 8, 2019
Hey yall!

I have several silkie chicks, as wel and as modern game bantam chicks that have alot of little redish tiny crawling specks on them. I can ONLY assume it is mites I guess? I always check, and we've never had any issues EVER. What is safe to put on very young chicks? They are with their "step mom" lol. I incubated and hatched them, then did a transition under mom once they were ready. I have no clue what a safe product to put on young chicks will be!? They are in a 2x4x4 pen and it is only momma hen and the babies. What can I do!? Advice and help please. I've never ever ever had mites on any of my flock.

Mites seem to be really bad this year. First year ive ever had this issue! I use DE powder. I put a small dust bath in with them and add the powder to the mix if they havent had a dust bath themselves i carefully dust around the vent area in the morning. Treat the coop. Wash it throughly i used boiling water and a mix of washing up liquid and oil and tried to get in every last crevice. I have now tried using vaseline (petroleum jelly) in the cracks of the coop with an old credit card i smear on the vaseline into the crack and wipe with card. The vaseline seems to stop those little mites being able to get through and they stick in it and hopefully suffocate. I have also been making thyme meals for the chooks as one of the main ingredient in red stop mite solution is Thyme. I would rather use a nonchemical way if I can. The health of my birds has improved so much over the last few days. The mites invaded whilst we were on holiday and our chicken sitter hadnt noticed, the hens just refused to go into bed. As soon as we had cleaned the coop and vaselined it they started going back in. Hope this helps young birds cant take the anemia

A super safe product for all ages is Elector Psp. It's very expensive though.

Permethrin would probably be ok too. Better that than to be crawling with parasites.

If you do decide to use DE, be aware that it is a respiratory hazard for both you and your birds.

Last edited:
Thank you!!!! How are all of your babies doing!?

A super safe product for all ages is Elector Psp. It's very expensive though.

Permethrin would probably be ok too. Better that than to be crawling with parasites.

If you do decide to use DE, be aware that it is a respiratory hazard for both you and your birds.

Thank you!!

Mites seem to be really bad this year. First year ive ever had this issue! I use DE powder. I put a small dust bath in with them and add the powder to the mix if they havent had a dust bath themselves i carefully dust around the vent area in the morning. Treat the coop. Wash it throughly i used boiling water and a mix of washing up liquid and oil and tried to get in every last crevice. I have now tried using vaseline (petroleum jelly) in the cracks of the coop with an old credit card i smear on the vaseline into the crack and wipe with card. The vaseline seems to stop those little mites being able to get through and they stick in it and hopefully suffocate. I have also been making thyme meals for the chooks as one of the main ingredient in red stop mite solution is Thyme. I would rather use a nonchemical way if I can. The health of my birds has improved so much over the last few days. The mites invaded whilst we were on holiday and our chicken sitter hadnt noticed, the hens just refused to go into bed. As soon as we had cleaned the coop and vaselined it they started going back in. Hope this helps young birds cant take the anemia

Back
Top Bottom