Mites or lice and permethrin

Matzwd

Songster
5 Years
Apr 9, 2018
St Louis, Missouri
I have been getting the itchy creepy crawlies when visiting my chickens, but i have only seen one teeny tiny yellowish bug on my arm after holding a chicken. I wish i had taken a photo to enlarge, but reflex was to immediately squash it. I've checked my girls over, and i don't see anything at all on them, but I'm assuming that if i have had one (something so tiny it was almost invisible) on me that there is something there. We've got wild birds entering the run at times as well as squirrels stealing food. It has also rained here almost daily. So there's a good possibility for bugs on the girls.

I have read up and found the proper dilutions and have bought the permethrin, intending to use it today and for the next two Sundays.

I know i need to remove bedding from the coop and spray the coop well, including crevices. I just don't know what to do about the run and the birds. Should i spray the bedding on the floor of the uncovered run? Its wet from the rain. Also, do the birds need to be saturated, or just sprayed on neck, around vent, and under wings?

I have sprayed but prefer to use the permethrin dust on the birds. You do not need to saturate the birds just spray. I'm careful I don't get it in their face. I would just concentrate in the coop spraying inside thoroughly.

Ditto the powder for the chickens, easier in my opinion. Spray for coop. I have the same issue regarding wildlife and I found after treating the area and then changing bedding often as well as raking and sweeping up feather and nesting materials recurrence hasn't been an issue yet.

I use DE in our coop bedding and run knowing full well it isn't fully protective but I feel it extends time between occurrences.

I spray the birds at night when they are roosting, with a small flashlight (headlamp is great!). I think the dust is a much bigger mess on the birds, although we spread it on the floor when changing out the bedding.
Wear at least an N95 face mask!!! And clothing, and go in, was everything, and shower immediately when you are done. I nearly ended up in the hospital after powdering my birds without a good face mask, once, years ago. The birds lived, I was sick for months.
Mary

I have a bag, but i don't want them inhaling it. Perhaps i can just put it in corners and crevices.

This is what I do, too. I add a light dusting them using the broom portion of a hand broom and dustpan I sweep it from the center off to the sides with everything open and airy. I place new bedding atop that and repeat during deep cleanings.

Back
Top Bottom