Mites & Revolution (Selamectin)

good info, we just had a mite outbreak and used sevin dust and spray on the coops. I would have loved to use some of the drop stuff but with hundreds of birds its just not cost effective. I will remember this though if its just a small number of birds with an issue.

Yeah, brand name preparation Selamectin is quite expensive, especially for more than just a handful of birds. I've since learned of the odd rogue here in Victoria selling it unlabelled as a raw product in larger concentrations and volumes. I'm not sure how you'd go shipping it across borders if you live outside of Australia, or even just Victoria, but there's bound to be people doing the same in other countries.

I know there are some products outside of the US that here you have to get from a vet too and that makes it out of this world expensive for as many birds as I have.

This is an old thread. I did do some research on (Selamectin) Revolution. It is related to Ivermectin.

When we got mites really bad on a couple of our chickens, I had the idea that Selamectin would work wonders. I turned here for advice but found so very little with keyword searches.

I just wanted to post my results because they seem significant.

MY Buff Orpington Roo was huddled down in the corner of his pen with little energy. I probably should have noticed sooner but I didn't. When we went into the pen he still didn't move. I looked at him and they were EVERYWHERE just sucking the life out of him. We trimmed away any extra feathers and plainly just panicked he was in such bad shape.

As a last ditch effort (we did not expect him to make it) I put an appropriate amount of Revolution in between his shoulderblades (5lb or so dose) and hoped for the best.

The next morning, he was up and around and eating, but we still saw mites.

Day 2 he was up, crowing & flapping & his comb was back to full color

Day 3 all the mites were dead, gone, history.

That was 3 weeks ago now, he's doing GREAT! I found the mites also on my Buff Orpington hens a few days later (4 pens over) but no one else. I treated the ladies, who also were pretty bad even though they acted healthy, looked healthy & continued to lay eggs for us. Within 3 days again, all mites, dead & gone.

So.. I'm not sure on the withdrawal period for this drug, because it is not labeled for chickens. But I am going with 30 days since that is when it would normally require reapplying for effectiveness.

Now.. here in the States, a Rx is required for Revolution. I buy it without a script online through PetShed in Australia.

I hope hope hope, this helps someone else at some point.

Thanks for reading, and if you have any experience with this please share!
smile.png
I have used it with the same great results I just wasn’t clear on if it affected the eggs ? Anyone know ?

I also rescued a chicken and they said ( stool sample ) vet said she had hook worms and I prob wouldn’t fully get rid of them ? Anyone have info on that abs it’s affect on the chickens and eggs and our eating the eggs ?
Thank you 😊

When we got mites really bad on a couple of our chickens, I had the idea that Selamectin would work wonders. I turned here for advice but found so very little with keyword searches.

MY Buff Orpington Roo was huddled down in the corner of his pen with little energy. I probably should have noticed sooner but I didn't. When we went into the pen he still didn't move. I looked at him and they were EVERYWHERE just sucking the life out of him. We trimmed away any extra feathers and plainly just panicked he was in such bad shape.

As a last ditch effort (we did not expect him to make it) I put an appropriate amount of Revolution in between his shoulderblades (5lb or so dose) and hoped for the best.

That was 3 weeks ago now, he's doing GREAT! I found the mites also on my Buff Orpington hens a few days later (4 pens over) but no one else. I treated the ladies, who also were pretty bad even though they acted healthy, looked healthy & continued to lay eggs for us. Within 3 days again, all mites, dead & gone.

So.. I'm not sure on the withdrawal period for this drug, because it is not labeled for chickens. But I am going with 30 days since that is when it would normally require reapplying for effectiveness.

Now.. here in the States, a Rx is required for Revolution. I buy it without a script online through PetShed in Australia.

smile.png
What about eating the eggs, did you wait for a period of time?

Welcome!
Permethrin is the best choice here in the USA. Spinosad is the only other approved drug for mites and lice on poultry here, with no egg withdrawal. Both work just fine, and the permethrin is way less expensive.
All those wonderful products that are used on dogs and cats are not approved for any livestock, including chickens, so in theory the egg withdrawal time is 'forever'. They are easy to use, but will persist in eggs and meat for a fair while. Ivermectin is approved for other livestock species, with withdrawal times before slaughter, but not approved for poultry. At least there's good use information for it!
Mary

smile.png
This worked very effectively for treating lice on my chickens.

smile.png
I am going to try this. Do you have any idea on egg withholding periods?

Back
Top Bottom