Mites! Runny poo? Really sick hen. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!

DinosRBirds

Hunted by Moonlight
12 Years
Feb 1, 2011
Lake Huron,MI
I've been trying to spray treat my New Hampshire Red hen for mites for the past few days.(I never saw any mites on her until she became lethargic and I looked at her to figure out why.) This is the first time I've ever had a chicken with mites. I suspect the others are probaby starting to get small ammounts. I haven't seen any on the others, but it's better to just assume they all need treatment, right? She's gotten very sickly : to the point that she barely moves. The tiny black mites are around her vent. (I would like to know.... do the mites stay outside, or do they also invade the vent?)
While treating her tonight, she pooped... If you could call it that. It was basically a stream of "poop" or what smells like poop. It was very runny and dark colored. It is night, so I don't know if this "poop" had color. I asked if mites went inside the vent because this is what I assume caused this liquid poo. Maybe they are inside causing damage? If not, maybe the mites are just bloodfeeding so much that her organs are failing? Could someone tell me if this or that is the case?
In some areas just above the tail, you can see more mites than skin. I assume that the spray killed quite a bunch, and that these covered areas are mostly dead ones with small ammounts of new generation mites?
I also THOUGHT I saw small wounds, but I didn't think mites made holes other than to drink blood.
It's been very rainy where I live, and they haven't had a good way to dust in about a month. I'm going to get some Sevin tomorrow, and try to destroy all of the remaining mites in the coop, but it looks as if my hen is se sick that she won't make it.

Can anyone clear anything up here for me?

Last edited:
Sorry about your hen. I don't believe the bugs move inside the chicken.

Treat the whole flock and the coop, then treat again in 10 days, as the first round won't kill the eggs. Liquid Sevin is handy for spraying surfaces in the coop, and the dust for the birds. Don't neglect the underside of the roost, and cracks in the wood. Here is a thorough explanation of these critters and dealing with them:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

Back
Top Bottom