Mites spreading?

NHMountainMan

Free Ranging
Feb 25, 2019
New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
I can find no evidence of mites on my birds or in the coop. I’ve followed the advice here to examine the birds and coop.

however- our cat is losing hair. She is 10 and in the past 3 weeks has developed bald spots. She is a indoor feral rescue and difficult to bring to the vet.

I can’t see any evidence of mites on her. Is it possible that either the dog or I could have transferred something to her?

I can find no evidence of mites on my birds or in the coop. I’ve followed the advice here to examine the birds and coop.

however- our cat is losing hair. She is 10 and in the past 3 weeks has developed bald spots. She is a indoor feral rescue and difficult to bring to the vet.

I can’t see any evidence of mites on her. Is it possible that either the dog or I could have transferred something to her?
Have you put a spot-on treatment on her for fleas and ticks? If she has flea allergies even a single bite can cause itching and make her pull her fur out.

Does she have fleas? I think allergies or hormonal imbalance can cause hair loss especially with her age and being female there may be something further going on besides mites. If your suspecting mites or fleas I would treat her for both anyways to see if it stops or continues.

She gets a monthly flea and tick treatment. After this began, we switched her to a new treatment- Brevecto- that also can treat mites.

with a new symptom, we look at changes. The only changes are that we added chicken 6 months ago, and that or alpha dog died about 2 months ago. The other dog is depressed and not eating, so we wonder about over grooming from stress.
She needs sedation to take to the vet so we’re trying to solve over the phone with the vet. she definitely doesn’t have fleas. It needs to be something that can’t be seen by naked eye.

Just wondering if anyone knows if chicken mites can transfer to cats?.

Bird mites can't live on humans or other pets.

Some pictures of the bald spots could be helpful. Someone may chime in with "that looks just like when my cat had..."

They can stress lick or even chew their fur. Location of baldness and what it looks like are clues.

Cats can also get ring worm or other fungal skin infections. Those can transfer to other pets and humans.

Very nice of your vet to try and help remotely. Best of luck figuring this out.

I’ll try to get a pic but as I said, she a feral rescue that doesn’t like being handled and getting a close picture will be tough. My wife is convinced it’s the chicken. I think it’s stress, as the dog we lost had a big presence and was the top dog. His brother isn’t eating and has lost 10 lbs but we’ve changed his food and he seems to finally be coming out of it.
it’s great the vet will work over the phone. They don’t want her there either- she’s carved up a free vet techs in the past.

The bald spots are on her belly, and on her right thigh just where it connects with her torso.

Do you have pictures of the bald spots? Ringworm can also cause bald spots in cats. I hope it's not ringworm because it is a PAIN to get rid of. Do you or anyone in your house have any itchy red spots on your body? It is contagious to humans.

Does the skin look raw? Do you see her biting at the area or just licking? Or does she not seem to be bothered by the spots? Any lumps or bumps you can feel? Thyroid issues can be a cause if hair loss but I don’t know if it would be like what you describe. One of my semi feral cats lost hair on the back of his neck and back and I figured out it was the flea/tick preventative.... once I cut down to every 6 or 7 weeks it improved (that was odd....) Ringworm is not impossible, stress grooming or some contact dermatitis type problem?

With the location you mentioned I would lean more towards stress licking. The hair will still be there but very very short like she got a buzz cut. If her skin is raw or red then I would be more concerned that it's a parasite or skin infection.

20190601_225130.jpg

Pink Belly from chewing the hair off.
20190411_234344.jpg

Fungal infection where the hair fell out.

Back
Top Bottom