Mites! What to do?

Biancadenysha

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2018
Hi everyone!! Came back to visit my parents and it turns out our bantam chickens have mites. We have had them for about 3 years now and it’s never happened. We were out of town for a while and the people who were supposed to help clean and feed them while we were gone maybe didn’t do a good job. I picked up one of my roosters today and started feeling animals crawling in my skin when I noticed these tiny little things which I’m guessing are mites. They have them all over. What can i do?! Helppp

That happened to me once with a broody. I sprayed her good with Davis Poultry Spray, then dusted her with diatomaceous earth (wear a mask when you do this) once she was dry. Under the wings, around the vent and also worked it into her feathers.

I also did a deep clean of the coop and sprayed the entire inside, then dusted DA in the nesting pads. That got rid of them.

I bought some elector psp to have as a backup in case that happens again since there is no withdrawal with that product according to the info I found. It is $$$ though and took more than a week to arrive. DA plus the Davis product worked.

Davis Pure Planet Poultry Spray, 22 oz, Model Number: 011-41... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ET9ZL6K/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_btf_t1_3D5BFb7C5NQD1

That happened to me once with a broody. I sprayed her good with Davis Poultry Spray, then dusted her with diatomaceous earth (wear a mask when you do this) once she was dry. Under the wings, around the vent and also worked it into her feathers.

I also did a deep clean of the coop and sprayed the entire inside, then dusted DA in the nesting pads. That got rid of them.

I bought some elector psp to have as a backup in case that happens again since there is no withdrawal with that product according to the info I found. It is $$$ though and took more than a week to arrive. DA plus the Davis product worked.

Davis Pure Planet Poultry Spray, 22 oz, Model Number: 011-41... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ET9ZL6K/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_btf_t1_3D5BFb7C5NQD1
I just found mites on my Roo. So I dusted him with the good earth. But I fear my chickens had them also. What do you suggest for them and there coop and roost. I think they do cause while I have 3 that are mounting the rest have stopped laying. Could mites make them stop.

Back
Top Bottom