Chickengeek2020

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2020
I rescued 2 pair of bantams, the neighbors of a friend of mine were just going to kill them if no one took them, so I got them. After getting them home I noticed their legs where pretty messed up. I've soaked them in Epson salt water, and then sprayed them with some poultry mite spray I had on hand. This is what it looks like. Is it mites? How can I help them feel better?

The first 2 pictures is one of the roosters, the the other 2 is the hen. I don't have pictures of the other rooster, his hen is fine.

Attachments

• 20230306_111958.jpg
    20230306_111958.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230306_111942.jpg
    20230306_111942.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230306_112300.jpg
    20230306_112300.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230306_112254.jpg
    20230306_112254.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 11
I would,probably soak their legs in Epsom salts for a few more days, and use an old toothbrush to gently clean up the legs. Apply a coat of oil—castor, mineral, oil, veg oil, vaseline after each treatment when legs are dry. Repeat the oil twice a week, then weekly as they should start to heal and new scales grow in. Is there any bumblefoot on the bottom of the foot pads?

I've soaked them in Epson salt water, and then sprayed them with some poultry mite spray I had on hand. This is what it looks like. Is it mites? How can I help them feel better?
You'll want to apply oil to the legs to help get rid of the Scaly Leg Mites, spray will not penetrate under the scales where the mites live.
I would,probably soak their legs in Epsom salts for a few more days, and use an old toothbrush to gently clean up the legs. Apply a coat of oil—castor, mineral, oil, veg oil, vaseline after each treatment when legs are dry. Repeat the oil twice a week, then weekly as they should start to heal and new scales grow in. Is there any bumblefoot on the bottom of the foot pads?

I’ve never treated mites so I am just asking questions. Would it help to mix the medication into the Vaseline and rub that on their legs to keep it on there longer and to soften up the scales?

Soak in the Epson Salt bath, dry & apply the Vaseline/Oil (Scaly Leg Mites). The later will kill the leg mites.
Check under their feet if you see any scabs/bumble foot.
Check in their feathers if you see anything crawling; under wing & vent area is a good place to look. That would be Bird Mites, which is different from the Scaly Mites. Bird Mites/Lice use Garden & Poultry dust, Hi Yield Livestock dust or the Permethrin Spray you have (spray mainly under the wing & vent area. Use that spray for their living area also.

Back
Top Bottom