Mites!!

unix_micki

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
So I have a buff that didn't look good, checked her over and she has mites. I went and got some seven dust and did her and will do the rest of the flock tonight.

What is the best way to apply seven dust??

Is there something I can spray the coop down with to kill mites?? Bleach??

What I do for mites is several things.... I hate pesticides, but used them once to get things under control.

Now, its all preventative. In the coop, and nest boxesI use playground sand, diatamatious earth and pine shavings sprinkled around where they roost. FORGET ABOUT STRAW. Its terrible as the bugs LOVE to nest and breed in the hollow shoots. Plain old shavings is no good cuz they love that too. Just spread a very thin layer of each sand, d.e. and shavings, which really keeps costs down and works GREAT for bugs. The mites don't like to crawl through sand and thhe d.e. cuts them up and kills them. I will occasionally take some of the d.e. and sprinkle it all over the chicken. Under her wings, behind her neck, and especially all over her bottom. D.E. is so much better than pesticides because it is really harmless to us and the birds, but killer for the bugs. Fleas and mites both.

In my opinion, chickens are barn animals and are always going to have some bugs....I just really try to keep the numbers where my birds aren't infested and healthy, for the most part. Some people will disagree with me, but my flock is happy, healthy and laying like crazy. My coop os free of bugs for the most part. I clean it once a week, sweeping all "bedding" out and putting new in.

The sand and d.e. is also great for drying up the poop. I use sand in the run as well, and the poop is naturally composted when the chickens walk and scratch around. I only have to rake it around every once in a while to break things up and it doesn't smell at all either.

I have had one person ( a breeder ) tell me that she puts Sevin Dust into a large "bowl".... then, puts each chicken into that bowl of dust, "splashing" the Sevin Dust up under their "undercarriage", under the wings, to vent, etc.. (from underneath) -- let them go, they shake off the excess -- done.. if you have mites, clean and dust (sprinkel with Seven Dust, lightly) the nesting boxes, roosts, dirt, floor, etc.. I do wish that I could still get Sevin Dust in the large bag... now they only have it in the 1 lb containers / shakers here.... and that's costly and one is not enough.
Now.... since I can't get the bag anymore... I use the shaker container and have my neighbor help me.. he catches each chicken one at a time in the coop.. he holds and turns, etc.. while I sprinkle a little under each wing, on the vent and at the top of the tail, where the tail meets the body... I put a little on my hand and pat it under / on their throat as I have had some mites on the combs and can't put it there, so just try to get it closer? Don't want them to breathe it or get it into their face at all.
A little vegetable oil onto the comb will smother the mites, but DO NOT get it into their eyes.. be careful not to let it run down or drip into the eyes.
Repeat treatment, Sevin Dust, in ten days, due to eggs from mites. (If one has them, it's likely more have them, the mites, treat everyone as well as the habitat)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting about the straw!! I just put straw in a few days ago...guess I am going back to timothy hay. Wish it wasn't dark so I could take it out
sad.png
will do tomorrow

I like the bowl idea
smile.png

We just dusted 40 girls, about 6 or so we could see mites, we did the best we could and will repeat in 10 days
smile.png

Got their neck/mid back/tail/underside....

great ideas, thank you

I don't think Tomothy hay would be any better. It also has hollow tubes for the mites to nest in, doesn't, it? Maybe not but I would think that would get expensive? Perhaps that doesn't matter..... maybe the smell would deter them? I don't know for sure, but I am going to stay away from anything grasslike and stick with the sand.

Last edited:
My son and I at the beginning of the summer got long sleeve shirts on, gloves and respirators and with a big shaker of seven dust grabbed each of our birds and had dusted them.

There was plenty of squawking and the birds generally wanted to be free - but no more mites!

It was a great way for my son and me to take care of something together - close up.

We use diametrious earth as well. Going in the coop now to kill the bugs!

where to get sand??

what other type of bedding is good, cedar chips??

my nests are wooden, should i paint them??

great ideas thanks

Back
Top Bottom