Mix and Matches Breeding Project Thread

Pics
I have a wishful thinking plan for some non-specific mix. I don't even know where to really start.
What I want:
  • A large, very large standard sized bird. roughly 9lb female, 12+lb male
  • Bearded, muffed, crested and featherfooted. Possibly with vulture hocks.
  • White to begin with.
  • A small comb
  • Winter hard
  • Broody
  • Good layer
  • Produces colored eggs, preferably more on the blue or light green side
I'm thinking now of starting with a Sultan x WJG. Then breeding back into Sultan to get the vulture hocks and better foot feathering.
Hold Back F1 offspring, WJG and Sultans
Breed a few F1 offspring into white Americaunas to produce EE F2 offspring
Breed F2 back into Sultan to keep Vulture Hocks
Hold back F3 Offspring.

That's about where I'm at. I'm thinking that at the same time I should keep crossing Sultan x WJG in various generations until I can achieve a mixed hen that lays a white or tinted egg.

Wow, those are lovely hens and roos you got there. I myself have some pretty standard breeds, 3 Barred Rocks, 3 Cinnamon Queens, 5 RIR's one being a (rooster), two EE's a rooster(4 months) and a hen and three mystery girls. I myself am thinking of crossing my rooster with my hens then choosing the best plumage coloring to continue to be bred I decide to call them Les acajous which is French for The mahoganies Heres what I'm aiming for
  • Comb Type: Small Single Comb

• Feather Color: Mahogany Barred

• Egg Color: Olive to Brown

• Egg Size: Medium to large

• Production: Good (3-4/week)

• Bird Size: Doesn't matter

• Hardiness: Cold and heat hardy (preference on cold hardiness)

• Personality: Curious, Docile, Alert, Protective

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of my girls and boys.
View attachment 1580427 View attachment 1580433 View attachment 1580428 View attachment 1580435 View attachment 1580436Unknown breeds but I've been told on another thread that the top two are sex-links and the black feathered one is a Jersey Giant, not sure if that's true, but I'll roll with it.
Bottom two are my Easter Eggers
View attachment 1580441 View attachment 1580439 View attachment 1580440
Final pic is a Full Flock Photo
View attachment 1580442
Any suggestions in which hens to focus to breed is greatly appreciated or suggestions of what breeds to add in too.
The top two are definitely not sex links. They look like orpington or marans mixes to me. The black hen is a jersey giant, since she has yellow foot bottoms.
Where's you easter egger rooster? Both the chickens pictured are hens.

Since you want barred chickens, the first thing you should do is cross your barred rocks with your RIR rooster, though you'd get a lot more barred chickens if you got a barred rock rooster, since they have two copies of the barring gene, while the hens only have one.

The Brown EE on the right is the rooster he is about 4 months old and wow didn't think they'd be Marans or Orpington mixes and the black hen being a Jersey Giant wow( Jumping in joy inside)
That EE is a pullet. She has a female specific coloration. Why do you think she's a cockerel?
I want to cross a Buff Orpington hen to an RIR rooster. Then take those chicks that are roos and cross to female EE's. those chicks to another RIR rooster, then to a Buff Orpington, EE cross hen. Take said hen chicks and cross back to a Buff Orp, RIR, and EE mix rooster.
What I want-
  1. Rhode Island Red color
  2. Size of Orpington
  3. Color eggs of EE
Will this actually work?
What I would do- cross your largest buff orpington (I'm assuming you want larger chickens, not smaller ones?) with your largest RIR, then cross the biggest and/or reddest RIR/BO roo with the largest, most red EE hen (what color eggs do you want? Blue or green, or something else?). You'd probably get chickens that are close to or are the size of the orpingtons, with a mostly red color scheme, since red seems to be a pretty dominant color. They would lay greens eggs, assuming the EE parent was a blue or green egg layer. Then, if you wanted to improve size, cross the EE/BO/RIR to either a BO or an RIR/BO. If the red color was fading, cross the offspring to the reddest RIR/BO, unless all of them are too light. Then, if you need to improve egg color, pick the crosses with the best egg color and cross them back to the original EE/BO/RIR that has the best egg color, and if none of them do, cross them to an EE.

My RIR's are a bit bloody red and I've always wanted them to be a good size like a BO! I always thought it would be cool to have a new redder chicken!
EX RIR:
View attachment 1580497
EX EE:
View attachment 1580499
EX BO:
View attachment 1580500
The attachments that didn't work:
EX EE:
View attachment 1580502
EX BO:
View attachment 1580503
Do you have a picture of one of your BOs compared to a RIR? I want to see the size difference between the two.

Your RIR rooster is very dark, so I'm guessing the BO/RIRs will have a color very similar to production reds. Do you have any other EEs?

White Jersey Giant.
What might be simpler, although not as immediate, is get a sizable pack of both white sultans and white americauna (or however you spell it), wait until theybhave reached full size, and cross the largest roosters over the biggest hens.
That would give you sizable F1 white EEs.
Then, from the F1s, pick the largest hens with the egg color and physical traits you like, and cross them over the biggests, featheriest roos. Again, after they reach full size so you know you have the biggest!
Meyers has white sultans available, pretty cheap per chick.

Back
Top Bottom