Mix Batch Incubating with BCM’s ?? Thought’s/Experiences

r1forb

Chirping
11 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Sunny Florida
My original plan was to dry hatch BCM’s (and then the others later) but now I’m thinking of including some Splash Ameraucanas. I’ve been researching and reading to death because it’s been a few years since I incubated. Years ago in FL I had FBCM’s that I incubated with some difficulty which is why I had planned to do the dry hatch method this time. Most everything I’ve read says that means keeping humidity @15-30%. Ive recently read and seen several posts/blogs of people who have done mixed batches including BCM’s and everyone hatched just fine. Thoughts? Experience doing a mix hatch including BCM’s? If so where did you keep the humidity? Or should I stick with my original plan and do them separate? I do live in a very dry area now (big difference from FL) and purchased 3 hygrometers to monitor room and incubator. UGH decisions decisions

I'm no expert, but I believe it's okay to mix breeds when incubating. Hopefully someone more experienced with incubating can help with the humidity.

I'm no expert, but I believe it's okay to mix breeds when incubating. Hopefully someone more experienced with incubating can help with the humidity.
Thanks...I was surprised I never received a single reply and thought maybe I posted incorrectly lol., It has been several years since I posted on this site. I actually live in Mexico now but I had experience hatching specialty breeds in the past and BCM's are always a bit tricky so I did decide to do them separate so I can do a dry hatch. It was hard to find what I was looking for here but found the BCM's about 8 hours away and Coincidentally my eggs were just shipped today...should arrive Thursday:celebrateI'll do Splash Ameraucanas next:love

Thanks...I was surprised I never received a single reply and thought maybe I posted incorrectly lol.,
I saw the thread, but had no direct experience with that breed. I wouldn't think they would need any different conditions, but I don't actually know that for sure. So I didn't think it was worth responding, because that wouldn't be very helpful.

But since you were wondering if you posted correctly, I do know the answer to that question: yes, you did post it correctly. :)

Thanks...I was surprised I never received a single reply and thought maybe I posted incorrectly lol., It has been several years since I posted on this site. I actually live in Mexico now but I had experience hatching specialty breeds in the past and BCM's are always a bit tricky so I did decide to do them separate so I can do a dry hatch. It was hard to find what I was looking for here but found the BCM's about 8 hours away and Coincidentally my eggs were just shipped today...should arrive Thursday:celebrateI'll do Splash Ameraucanas next:love
Hoping your hatch goes well. :)

How's your hatch going? I've got 22 of my BCM's eggs going into lockdown today.
Mine are from 3 of my hens, and in doing a search on 'hatching bags' to separate them, your thread came up.
I've been running 25-30% for the first 18 and shooting for 60% during lockdown.
Good luck with your hatch.
IMG_20240313_045313.jpg

How's your hatch going? I've got 22 of my BCM's eggs going into lockdown today.
Mine are from 3 of my hens, and in doing a search on 'hatching bags' to separate them, your thread came up.
I've been running 25-30% for the first 18 and shooting for 60% during lockdown.
Good luck with your hatch.
View attachment 3785173
I have BBS Marans in lockdown and have several other breeds in as well-Olive, cream legbar and SFH. Dry incubation- 25-30% days 1-15;30-35% until lockdown because aircells on non-Marans were bigger than I liked. 70% at lockdown. It’s day 21 and Marans are pipped, two hatched. Nothing yet from the others.

I have BBS Marans in lockdown and have several other breeds in as well-Olive, cream legbar and SFH. Dry incubation- 25-30% days 1-15;30-35% until lockdown because aircells on non-Marans were bigger than I liked. 70% at lockdown. It’s day 21 and Marans are pipped, two hatched. Nothing yet from the others.
That's awesome. Would love to see pics when you can. ♥️
Did you separate any for i.d. at lockdown?

That's awesome. Would love to see pics when you can. ♥️
Did you separate any for i.d. at lockdown?
No. I have just one incubator. I’m staring at it bc it’s my very first hatch. I think I can keep track; there’s only 11 eggs total.

Attachments

• IMG_4705.jpeg
    IMG_4705.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 3
No. I have just one incubator. I’m staring at it bc it’s my very first hatch. I think I can keep track; there’s only 11 eggs total.
NR360? I made diy hatch bags for mine. I'll get a pic later if you want. I've got 22 in lockdown. 8-7-7 Separated 2 of the 3 hens eggs.
Your little one looks like a Blue Copper to me...? 🙂

Edited to add... super small zipties for leg bands help after pulling them out. In case you needed to know... 😉

Back
Top Bottom