Mix Breeds? Help!

LittleDragons

Chirping
Feb 13, 2020
North America
Hello! I'm curious what thease mixes would create? I'm planning on getting chicks in the spring and I'm wondering of which breed I should get the roo.

Roo/Hen

Dark Brahma/Barred Rock = ????
Dark Brahma/Black Laced Gold Whyadotte = ????
Dark Brahma/White Rock = ????
White Rock/Black Laced Gold Whyadotte = ???
White Rock/Barred Rock = ?????
White Rock/Dark Brahma = ????
Barred Rock/White Rock = ????
Barred Rock/Black Laced Gold Whyadotte = ???
Barred Rock/Dark Brahma = ?????
Black Laced Gold Whyadotte/Barred Rock =?????
Black Laced Gold Whyadotte/White Rock = ????
Black Laced Gold Whyadotte/Dark Brahma = ?????
Thanks in advance!!!!

- Tanya

Do you mean what color chicks would those crosses create? I'm not sure which rooster to recommend because that entirely depends on what you want the rooster for and what you want to get out of the breeding - basically, what do you hope to achieve with your breeding?

Do you mean what color chicks would those crosses create? I'm not sure which rooster to recommend because that entirely depends on what you want the rooster for and what you want to get out of the breeding - basically, what do you hope to achieve with your breeding?

I'm going to attempt to create a mutt with feathered legs, barring and mabye some lacing. So I'm trying to figure out which rooster would best help those traits. This will be my first time breeding chickens!

I'm going to attempt to create a mutt with feathered legs, barring and mabye some lacing. So I'm trying to figure out which rooster would best help those traits. This will be my first time trying this!

Well, barring is sex linked - females can only pass it to their sons. So if you want both genders to be barred, then you'd need to pick a barred rooster. So that narrows it down for you :)

Well, barring is sex linked - females can only pass it to their sons. So if you want both genders to be barred, then you'd need to pick a barred rooster. So that narrows it down for you :)

Thank you! Will the barring be very dominant? Or just a little barring? Like, let's say the Barred Rock/Black Laced Gold Whyadotte for example. Do you have any idea of what that would look like? Would there be any lacing?

Thank you! Will the barring be very dominant? Or just a little barring? Like, let's say the Barred Rock/Black Laced Gold Whyadotte for example. Do you have any idea of what that would look like?

I'm not sure what that would look like, since the lacing would be incomplete. I can tell you that they would all be single barred, not double barred (only roosters can be double barred, and you need to breed a barred rooster to a barred hen to be able to get double barred males). But, if you want to see what barring and lacing look like on the same bird, you can look up Wybars, which should be both.

This is, I believe, a bird that is both barred and laced, from a Wybar project.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/anyone-breeding-wybars-in-the-us.362967/post-12861998

I'm not sure what that would look like, since the lacing would be incomplete. I can tell you that they would all be single barred, not double barred (only roosters can be double barred, and you need to breed a barred rooster to a barred hen to be able to get double barred males). But, if you want to see what barring and lacing look like on the same bird, you can look up Wybars, which should be both.

This is, I believe, a bird that is both barred and laced, from a Wybar project.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/anyone-breeding-wybars-in-the-us.362967/post-12861998

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom