Mixed ages... mixed feed?

Pics

newchickenmom33

Songster
Jun 4, 2018
We have 5 older pullets, 3 barred rock 1 orpington and 1 rir, that are 15 weeks... they are eating organic grower feed. We just got 3 more chicks that are 3 weeks old. In 4-6 weeks I hope to have them all in the same coop. The babies are eating organic starter feed. I’ve red that some of the pullets may start to lay in 3-4 weeks so if i change their feed to organic layer feed.... how do i keep the chicks out of it? I leave the feed out until bedtime. Any advice is appreciated! Ty!

Just keep giving the Grower Feed until all your chickens are laying. Provide Cracked Oyster Shells free choice for all. Chickens know what they need. They will pick as needed. Chickens free ranging and eating greens also get calcium from these plants.
I feed all my chickens Alflock. Its not organic, but is equal to your grower feed. Mostly in the calcium content. Yours should be in the 2% range, like my Alflock. I provide the Oyster Shells all the time. Some of my chickens lay more than others. All the egg shells are satisfactory. I also feed back the egg shells (crushed) back to my chickens.
Layer feed is a formula designed to provide ideal egg production. Sometimes it may be insufficient to some chickens. That is why the free choice calcium is so good to have.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Okay.... so I can’t use the layer feed for like another 4-5 months. I was so excited of the thought of eggs I bought it already. . The chicks won’t get into the oyster shells if I put it in a hanging feeder on the side of the run? I’m not sure if there gruel a different from organic feed or not but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to try it out with our first go at raising chicks. I’m really don’t think you ever get you $$$ back but it fun to watch the chicks grow and the kids seem to love them!

I was told by my vet not to feed them medicated chick starter, for none of my babies. To each their own if they do but I know I can't because I also have turkeys, ducks, and guineas and they can't have it. They get 20% protein laying pellets and I have used all flock too but my chickens don't care for it as much as they like Showtime Gamecock feed, cocker's choice. It is 14% protein with calcium, niacin, oats, barley, peas, and the list goes on. I do a 50/50 mix for them every day. My baby chicks get Bartletts start and grow, unmedicated, no antibiotics, no hormones and no chemical preservatives. It is a natural poultry feed.

I do feed Show Gold medicated starter. It's 26% protein. I show my birds so I want them to get the best start in life. I only feed it to them for the first couple of months then I switch them to Show Gold Grower which is 21% protein.
I plan on switching to the 26% protein this Friday, I just bought pheasants yesterday and they need a higher protein then what I have been feeding my chickens. The turkeys, ducks, and guineas do too, that is why I add the supplement of Showtime Gamecocks feed. It might cost a little more but I agree I want them to be healthy and show quality, not just lay eggs. Plus I want healthy chicks being born from their eggs. When I buy any animal it is from my vet who owns the feed and grain shop in my area, she checks all of them and keeps them in quarantine for 3 to 5 days before they are sold. Too many diseases out there to buy them from just anywhere nowadays. I might do things differently than others but I do not leave feed out in my pens for the wild birds to get to either. Even though all of my pens are covered with chicken wire the wild birds will try to fit through the holes. They carry diseases I do not want my babies to catch. I feed mine 2 times a day, morning and just before they go to roost. The only food that is left all day is for my chicks but they are in a brooder that a bird cannot get into. If they try the cats will scare them off.

Back
Top Bottom