Mixed ages... mixed feed?

To OP. Don't make things complicated just feed them the same food you feed the adults, They will eat it. You don't need anything fancy either, Cheap cracked corn is fine. I have 3 hens over 6 years old and they've never had trouble laying eggs.

To OP. Don't make things complicated just feed them the same food you feed the adults, They will eat it. You don't need anything fancy either, Cheap cracked corn is fine. I have 3 hens over 6 years old and they've never had trouble laying eggs.
Do you mean I didn’t need starter feed when they were brand new? And then grower feed... and now I just added grit and scratch for the older girls... and soon oyster shells and i started soaking grain today to try sprouting some of the scratch... I can’t wait for the mail. . Nothing fancy... just seems like we don’t feed human babies steak or teenagers smashed peas. . This is still new though... one day I might just say... one feed and you’ll be alright :wee

You could feed one type of feed their whole life, depending on the brand name of course.

With added oyster shell, in a dish on the side, for the laying hens.
I agree. I won’t buy starter again... Grower seems to be good for them all... but with crumble you don’t really need grit, right?

You need to add grit as soon as they start eating anything other than crumble; I just put some small sized grit out there when they move to the brooder section of my coop, at about three weeks of age. If I fed treats sooner, they'd have grit sooner.
My broody raised chicks are outside very early, and find grit on their own. Having it available is never a bad idea!
All my birds eat Flock Raiser, so there's never a food change needed.
Mary

I agree. I won’t buy starter again... Grower seems to be good for them all... but with crumble you don’t really need grit, right?
To correct my statement earlier, I should say the feed I buy my chicks is called starter/grower feed and it contains everything they need until they are mature enough to handle the adult food. When they start laying eggs or just before then I change them to a different diet to ensure healthy egg production mainly in my chickens that are not free range but are caged.

Last edited:
It really depends on which brand of feed you choose to buy.
Some feed makers do not make a start feed.
Some make a start/grower combined.

Some starter feeds are to only be feed for the first couple of weeks and some start feeds are meant to be feed for the first few months.

I highly suggest everyone read their specific feed bag's labels.

Do you mean I didn’t need starter feed when they were brand new? And then grower feed... and now I just added grit and scratch for the older girls... and soon oyster shells and i started soaking grain today to try sprouting some of the scratch... I can’t wait for the mail. . Nothing fancy... just seems like we don’t feed human babies steak or teenagers smashed peas. . This is still new though... one day I might just say... one feed and you’ll be alright :wee
If its small enough for them to eat then they will be fine. Little chicks cant eat cracked corn because its to big, but as soon as they can eat it they should be good with it there after, or scratch grain, whatever you prefer.

Where are they located? I can’t find an address. I see the area code looks like colorado.

I replied on the other post... I'd recommend contacting them through their website if you can. I don't remember exactly. Somewhere in the eastern plains part of the state. I just remember it was 2+ hours from where I live.

Back
Top Bottom