Mixed breed barnvelders/Australorp or barred rock

ewohl

Chirping
Apr 20, 2015
MI
IMG_1704.JPG IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1696.JPG Hi everyone! These are two day old chicks from my barnvelder rooster and mostly barnvelder hens (3 are from an Easter egger and should lay olive eggs, and one is obviously leghorn). I also hatched what I hoped to be barred rocks, because I wanted to try the sex link thing. If so, I guess I got lucky and got four pullets, since they don't have a white head spot. But now I am wondering if I may have gotten some of my Australorp eggs by mistake. What is your opinion on the blacks? The all look the same as the little one on the fence post. IMG_1702.JPG IMG_1696.JPG Aussies or BR pullets (same barnvelder roo for all the hens). Can I tell the gender if they are from the Aussies?
IMG_1701.JPG

If they are Aussies ... check under the chin. Roos will have a bit of a green spot. Also, in the next few days watch the tails. Aussie hens grow their tale faster ... any that are day or more behind on starting their tail feathers are roos.

You won't be able to tell between the Australorp-Barnevelder vs. BR-Barnevelder pullets.
Sorry. They both will be all black chicks (with possibly some white tuxedo)...though my BSL's tend to be all black.

And the green dot under chin and tail feather doesn't apply to mix breeds (not sure it applies to Australorps as they are not auto-sexing and different lines will produce different feather rates...they are not a line that is feather sexable).

But any rate...you won't be able to see the difference in these mixes.

I love the Barnevelder traits. My Barney rooster produces some really nice chicks over my bevvy of beauties...and if you got the right eggs, BR with Barney, yes, those will be sexed linked. I've made plenty of reliably sexed sex links with a barred hen under my Barney boy. (From Cal Grey to Rhodebar to Cream Legbar).

And yes, your EE mixes will give you a 50/50 chance of green eggs...follow the pea comb as that is close to the blue-shell gene on the strand...those that get the pea comb generally get the blue gene as well. How dark will depend upon how dark your Barney rooster's genes are...which is always a gamble as you can't see his "eggs" to know if his egg color is darker. So you'll get green to sage to olive depending upon how dark brown Barney has.

And as you know, you've got 1 WL/Barney cross...the white chick. WL is white dominant.

I can see several Barney chicks and what look to be EE crosses. I have found as a *general* rule of thumb that in the wild type colors (chipmunk) those that have a full chipmunk stripe from head, neck, back, to tail, with three colors (brown, black, white) are female, while males will have a stripe that breaks at the neck and will have 2 stripe colors....not a guarantee but as a general rule of thumb.

Congratulations on your backyard mixes. Playing with the genetics is a lot of fun especially as you seek egg colors...a project near to my heart.

LofMc

Thanks for your advice. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all pullet BRs! I had forgotten about the 50/50 for the EEs laying green eggs. It's been a fun experiment. I hope to get a variety of egg colors!

You won't be able to tell between the Australorp-Barnevelder vs. BR-Barnevelder pullets.
Sorry. They both will be all black chicks (with possibly some white tuxedo)...though my BSL's tend to be all black.

And the green dot under chin and tail feather doesn't apply to mix breeds (not sure it applies to Australorps as they are not auto-sexing and different lines will produce different feather rates...they are not a line that is feather sexable).

But any rate...you won't be able to see the difference in these mixes.

I love the Barnevelder traits. My Barney rooster produces some really nice chicks over my bevvy of beauties...and if you got the right eggs, BR with Barney, yes, those will be sexed linked. I've made plenty of reliably sexed sex links with a barred hen under my Barney boy. (From Cal Grey to Rhodebar to Cream Legbar).

And yes, your EE mixes will give you a 50/50 chance of green eggs...follow the pea comb as that is close to the blue-shell gene on the strand...those that get the pea comb generally get the blue gene as well. How dark will depend upon how dark your Barney rooster's genes are...which is always a gamble as you can't see his "eggs" to know if his egg color is darker. So you'll get green to sage to olive depending upon how dark brown Barney has.

And as you know, you've got 1 WL/Barney cross...the white chick. WL is white dominant.

I can see several Barney chicks and what look to be EE crosses. I have found as a *general* rule of thumb that in the wild type colors (chipmunk) those that have a full chipmunk stripe from head, neck, back, to tail, with three colors (brown, black, white) are female, while males will have a stripe that breaks at the neck and will have 2 stripe colors....not a guarantee but as a general rule of thumb.

Congratulations on your backyard mixes. Playing with the genetics is a lot of fun especially as you seek egg colors...a project near to my heart.

LofMc
Would it be possible for you to post some adult or feathered pictures of your Barney crossed with Cream Legbar or Barred Rock? I am new to chickens and found out one of our 8 week old Barnie pullets may not be a pullet!

Would it be possible for you to post some adult or feathered pictures of your Barney crossed with Cream Legbar or Barred Rock? I am new to chickens and found out one of our 8 week old Barnie pullets may not be a pullet!

I'll try to get some photos posted this week of the CL/Barney pullets (I've culled the roos). FYI they are partridge colored with white earlobes, and fairly floppy comb. It's about 50/50 if they are crested or uncrested in my experience with this mix.

They lay a pretty spring green olive egg.

I don't have any Barney/BR as I've transitioned those birds out long ago. But the males were barred (typical coloring) and the females all black. Laid a medium red tone brown.

LofMc

Bringing this thread back. I have some cream legbar, barnevelder, and barred rock eggs over my barnevelder rooster in the incubator hatching in about a week. First hatch ever and I am excited. Am I correct in assuming the following things?
1. Not all the cream legbar pullet hatches will product green/olive eggs and only the ones who have been passed the similar gene to the pea comb?
2. Barred rocks crosses will autosexed so solid black if female, barred if male?
3. I should be using the chipmunk like striping to determine gender of the barnevelder and cream legbar hatches? Maybe 6 of the 9 in the box were female?

Thanks and I appreciate any efforts to foster my learning!

1. All Cream Legbar-Barnevelder will produce green eggs. My f1 tends to be spring green (a lovely color). If your CL is pure, she will have 2 blue genes, meaning every progeny will receive 1 blue gene which is dominant. The brown wash is trickier to pass down, and it takes some testing with the rooster to tell how "dominant" his are, so whether you get spring green or olive is depending on that. I was very happy with my F1 CL/Barney eggs.

2. Yes, BR/Barney will be sexlinked with black females, black with white head dot males turning into barred adult males (often with some red bleed through at the shoulders).

3. Your CL/Barnvelder f1 will produce sexlinks as well as the CL girls are single barred while boys are double barred (they are an autosexing breed if bred CL to CL). Unfortunately, in my experience, they are just a bit harder to detect as the single barring gene passed by the female to the boys doesn't always display as well on a lighter chipmunk that I tend to with my CL-Barn crosses (it can be a whisp or a stripe on tan). However anything with a streak of white on the head in my line has been boy. Girls are a solid chipmunk with NO head striping whatsoever. But for safety, let these grow out as you don't want to mistake a girl for a boy if she simply has some color variety.

Happy hatching :D

LofMc

1. All Cream Legbar-Barnevelder will produce green eggs. My f1 tends to be spring green (a lovely color). If your CL is pure, she will have 2 blue genes, meaning every progeny will receive 1 blue gene which is dominant. The brown wash is trickier to pass down, and it takes some testing with the rooster to tell how "dominant" his are, so whether you get spring green or olive is depending on that. I was very happy with my F1 CL/Barney eggs.

2. Yes, BR/Barney will be sexlinked with black females, black with white head dot males turning into barred adult males (often with some red bleed through at the shoulders).

3. Your CL/Barnvelder f1 will produce sexlinks as well as the CL girls are single barred while boys are double barred (they are an autosexing breed if bred CL to CL). Unfortunately, in my experience, they are just a bit harder to detect as the single barring gene passed by the female to the boys doesn't always display as well on a lighter chipmunk that I tend to with my CL-Barn crosses (it can be a whisp or a stripe on tan). However anything with a streak of white on the head in my line has been boy. Girls are a solid chipmunk with NO head striping whatsoever. But for safety, let these grow out as you don't want to mistake a girl for a boy if she simply has some color variety.

Happy hatching :D

LofMc
Thank you so much for the answers/information! We got our Barnevelders from Meyer as day old chicks (ordered 2 pullets and got a pullet and a cockerel :) ). The hen lays a very light brown so I would presume both barnevelders come from the same line and will result in a light green egg from the barnevelder X CL.

Back
Top Bottom