Mixed color ameraucana or Easter egger.

redrooster99

Songster
9 Years
Jun 14, 2013
georgia
This is my main rooster for my Easter egger project. I think he looks like a blue Wheaton, but it appears he may have green legs instead of slate. If he is Easter egger what are his genetics? The people I got him from hatched him they said he was a pure ameraucana but he was a mix of two varieties any feed back would be much appreciated.
4D784045-FA0E-46B2-89E0-9B7D82961E4B.jpeg
30F3379B-5C16-4CDE-B3FE-E5F4E5AE28A8.jpeg
C47FA906-0DE9-4951-9637-ECBCFC9280B9.jpeg

I understand that. I have an EE cockerel that I’m going to keep and let breed. I’ll have no idea what color egg gene he will provide until his chicks start laying.

Last edited:
Fixed my above post to make since. Also, what I don’t get about your rooster is where the red is coming from since the colors (that I know of) that Ameraucanas come in is black, blue, splash, white and I think lavender. Google Ameraucana Breeders Club that should show you all the color varieties in Ameraucanas.

Fixed my above post to make since. Also, what I don’t get about your rooster is where the red is coming from since the colors (that I know of) that Ameraucanas come in is black, blue, splash, white and I think lavender. Google Ameraucana Breeders Club that should show you all the color varieties in Ameraucanas.
Blue Wheaton is a variety and they look identical down to the wing triangle.

Wheaten and blue wheaten are recognised varieties so there's no concern where the red comes from but like you I would be concerned if he has green legs.
Green legs come from yellow shank genes and those aren't in any varieties of ameraucanas.
I wouldn't put green shanks on account of crossed varieties.
Another thing is I'm unsure of any variety crosses (besides wheaten and blue wheaten) that would produce his pattern.

Wheaten and blue wheaten are recognised varieties so there's no concern where the red comes from but like you I would be concerned if he has green legs.
Green legs come from yellow shank genes and those aren't in any varieties of ameraucanas.
I wouldn't put green shanks on account of crossed varieties.
Another thing is I'm unsure of any variety crosses (besides wheaten and blue wheaten) that would produce his pattern.
I mean it doesn’t really matter what he is I geuss it’s just for Easter eggers. But I’m very curious. And if you could help me remember how the blue egg gene works. I know blue crossed to brown makes green of varying shades. And blue to white should produce blue I believe. But let’s say he was an Easter egger and he has a blue egg gene and a brown egg gene, and I cross him to brown egg layers I could still get green right? Because that’s how they do it in hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom