Mixed feed needs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by weirdmuse, Apr 14, 2009.

1. weirdmuse

weirdmuse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    Ok, so I decided to let nature take it's course and let my broody Marans set a clutch of eggs. Well she hatched out 3 great little fluff balls. I have them in a separate coop away from the other chickens. But I'm not sure what I should be feeding them. I have chick starter for the wee ones and the layer mash for mom but I assume that mom shouldn't have the starter and the chicks shouldn't have the layer mash. Is there a happy medium I should be going for or is there some way to make sure each gets the proper food?

2. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    Only way I know of is to seperate the chicks from mom. Mom needs layer and chicks need starter/grower. Unless somebody has a better idea,,,I would seperate them.

3. weirdmuse

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    I thought about doing that, but I wanted to let her do the raising. Should I not let her take care of her own chicks?

4. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Momma hen won't start laying right away and will do fine on chick feed. You can put out a bowl of oyster shell for her if she needs it.

Chicks should NOT be fed layer feed.

Also congrats on the chicks, that's awesome! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  5. weirdmuse

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    Thank you, Ella! Both for the info and the encouragement.

6. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    I definetly agree with ella, she is ok to eat the chick feed but not the other way around

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by