mixed flock and behaviors question

Thunder Bay Chicken

Songster
9 Years
Oct 21, 2010
North of Thunder Bay
I originally thought I'd just get a couple dozen barred plymouth rocks to start but after seeing, researching and reading about all the different breeds I'm able to get next spring I have decided I'd like more variety.

So my questions are:

What are the advantages or disadvantage to having a mixed breed flock?

If I pick 4 or 5 breeds or crosses of these... Is getting like 6 of each breed/kind ok?

Will each breed have a boss chicken or will one or two birds emerge from the group?

I'm just getting large birds so no little ones mixed in.

I will only be ordering pullets too.

Last edited:
I have a mixed flock. I started w/ three each of Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Reds, True Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers. I have added FBCMarans.. They seem to 'flock' together.. I often see each breed free ranging together, in their own little group... In my flock one of the Rhode Island Reds is the head hen..and one of the BO is bossy and will run the others away--from what ever they are doing--eating , dust bathing or just searching for food.. I have had no problems w/ them.. I had a BO roo and he was mean to everyone (hens and humans) so he left! I enjoy having different breeds and when we move I will add more.. I think it would be very boring to own only one breed..

I would love to add some bantams but only if I have a space of their own..NEVER w/ the standard size girls//

Good luck

I started out with one breed, LF brahmas.

This past spring I decided to expand my interests so now I have salmon faverolles, turkens, easter eggers, speckled sussex, silkies and a bunch of cornish cross (meat birds) rescues.

With my adult flock I've always noted that birds of a feather flock together. My dark brahmas prefer the company of the other dark brahmas, etc., but they all live in pretty much harmony. In my juvenile flock I am noticing much the same thing. Especially my speckled sussex, who will hurt themselves trying roost together at night. All but one of my layer chicks pretty much steers clear of the cornish Xs, although they have been raised together.

What I didn't expect, but find very interesting is that two of my roosters (1 adult & one of the cockerels, the CX) are sticking with their own pullets/hens. The turken cockerel is hormonally challenged, so he's made attempts at mating the CX and adult hens, but the CX and adult brahma rooster are content to be with their own breed.

I have one bantam in my adult flock. She does fine and is very close to the top of the pecking order. I have two silkies (bantams) in my baby flock. They do equally well, with the rest of the layer chicks being standards.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom