Mixed flock feeding question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Smithnchickens, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Smithnchickens

Smithnchickens In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2018
    I have 25 chickens, 3 different laying breeds, and ages ranging from 4-8 weeks. I've got them all on Dumor 20% starter/grower. They are all together with two different feeders, though thinking about taking away the little chick feeder bottle and just using the hanging feeder that says it's for 36 chickens. I can't do free range. We have all sorts of barn cats, dogs and other predators around, but the pen is huge and on dirt with a few weeded spots on fence line. So with that info how much starter/grower should I be dishing out a day? Or should I be changing to something else? It just seems like they go through those 50lbs bags too fast. Can I start adding vegtable scrap or other things to supplement? Please help! I appreciate your wisdom!! :D

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Sr Chicken Wrangler

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I was going to answer, until I saw you wanted someone with wisdom...

I would think you could use one feeder at those ages and use the 20% stuff.. I have some at 12 weeks and they are still on 24% grower with no treats.

Redhead Rae and Smithnchickens like this.
  3. Smithnchickens

Feb 16, 2018
    How much do you think for 25 chickens? Or just keep food in it all the time?

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I keep feed in front of mine 24/7.

I use the higher protein because I hope to have some show birds in this bunch.

Smithnchickens likes this.
  5. Smithnchickens

Feb 16, 2018
    Thank you! I was worried about making them fat or unhealthy with too much feed! whew See? Wisdom ;)

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    That is only really a concern with CX (meat) birds.

The reason I stay with the higher protein is to make stronger bones and bigger feathers. I also give them a mixture of calcium and grit to aid digestion at around 8-10 weeks.

Some people say the calcium is bad for them, but I find if I don't overdo the calcium it makes stronger legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: