Mixed flock feeding question

Smithnchickens

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2018
I have 25 chickens, 3 different laying breeds, and ages ranging from 4-8 weeks. I've got them all on Dumor 20% starter/grower. They are all together with two different feeders, though thinking about taking away the little chick feeder bottle and just using the hanging feeder that says it's for 36 chickens. I can't do free range. We have all sorts of barn cats, dogs and other predators around, but the pen is huge and on dirt with a few weeded spots on fence line. So with that info how much starter/grower should I be dishing out a day? Or should I be changing to something else? It just seems like they go through those 50lbs bags too fast. Can I start adding vegtable scrap or other things to supplement? Please help! I appreciate your wisdom!! :D

I was going to answer, until I saw you wanted someone with wisdom...

I would think you could use one feeder at those ages and use the 20% stuff.. I have some at 12 weeks and they are still on 24% grower with no treats.
How much do you think for 25 chickens? Or just keep food in it all the time?

That is only really a concern with CX (meat) birds.

The reason I stay with the higher protein is to make stronger bones and bigger feathers. I also give them a mixture of calcium and grit to aid digestion at around 8-10 weeks.

Some people say the calcium is bad for them, but I find if I don't overdo the calcium it makes stronger legs.

Back
Top Bottom