Mixed flock...identifying eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DixieChickie, Jun 21, 2011.

1. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    I have a banty coop, It's mainly cochins, but my Silkie is in there as well as my Golden Sebright pullet. I knew my blue cochin pullet was getting close to ready to lay, and Saturday we got our first egg from that coop. HOWEVER I don't know if she's the only one laying,

The egg I got Saturday, was up in the nesting box, it was long and skinny...creamy tan colored. Sunday I got another egg in the nest box, it was more typical store bought egg shape, but in miniature form LOL Kind of a creamy color (lighter than the first I think) Yesterday there was an egg on the floor of the coop, a light khaki tan color, kind of long and skinny like the first egg on Saturday.

The pullets that could possibly be laying are: my blue cochin (she's definately of age and has been squatting for the roo for a couple of weeks), my Silkie is possibly close to age, and my Golden Sebright is fairly close in age too. My Silkie I have never seen try to fly up to any spots, in the coop, higher than a foot off the ground....so I didn't know if the one on the floor might be hers, or if maybe there are 2 laying if the nest box was occupied so someone just decided to lay on the floor. (I only had 1 nest box in cause only my blue was showing signs of being ready, putting another one in today.)

I'll try to get a pic to post.
  2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    One way to tell is to check all your girls' vents and see which is moist and 'stretched'.
  3. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    My black silkies eggs are white, and usual when they first lay there long and skinny [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by