Mixed Flock or Not?

what is more beautiful then raising a flock of show quality large fowl light brahmas ???
95234a48_DSC03908.jpeg

I've been reading chicken catalogs in anticipation of our first order this spring. I read the behaviors of chickens. Reading all the reviews here in BYC.
What do you think? A mixed flock or a single breed and why?
I like the mixed flock. They're so pretty to see them mingle out in the yard. I have the excellent layers and some of the not so good layers but they have different color eggs, which is neat to find in the nests. If you just want them for eggs, get the excellent layers, even they come in a variety of colors. If you want to enjoy the variety of colors and can tolerate some "slackers", get the mixed flocks, again the blue/green layers come in a variety of colors too. Nothing like sitting and watching the variety in my flock, very relaxing, entertaining and enjoyable.

I agree and would recommend a mixed flock (but I would make sure it's a mix of purebred birds so you can base your opinion of a certain breed on a halfway decent true to type of that breed).

After you've had a mixed flock for a while you might have a few that are your favorites, and then you can build on that and (possibly) have a flock full of only your most favored breeds. After that, you might be inclined to really want to help those breeds by preserving them and doing what you can to find out how to go about doing that.

Be vewy vewy careful - owning chickens is not only addictive but can also cause sleep deprivation, mood swings, emphatic views regarding their existence, and if you're not careful it can also include episodes of missing small objects IE: car keys, a piece of fruit, socks, and occasionally the random housefly.

I agree and would recommend a mixed flock (but I would make sure it's a mix of purebred birds so you can base your opinion of a certain breed on a halfway decent true to type of that breed).

After you've had a mixed flock for a while you might have a few that are your favorites, and then you can build on that and (possibly) have a flock full of only your most favored breeds. After that, you might be inclined to really want to help those breeds by preserving them and doing what you can to find out how to go about doing that.

Be vewy vewy careful - owning chickens is not only addictive but can also cause sleep deprivation, mood swings, emphatic views regarding their existence, and if you're not careful it can also include episodes of missing small objects IE: car keys, a piece of fruit, socks, and occasionally the random housefly.
Ha! I agree! Chickens are addictive! Your "be very careful" is so true! So gald to know I'm not the only one out there with chicken brain!

Last edited:
I loooovvveee a variety of color patterns. So - I have Wyandottes. Still looking for a couple of Partridge Wyandotte pullets. I have buff, colombian, silver penciled, silver laced, blue, gold laced, and white.
They're ALL Wyandottes, but the colors are fantastic. The Plymouth Rocks come in a very wide array of color patterns too, but are single comb and Wyandottes are rose comb. Love me some Wyandottes.
thumbsup.gif
I will be going all Wyandottes on my next flock. All different colors of course!

We are in SC, where are these chicken swaps you are talking about located. One of my EE's has turned out to be a rooster, but he is beautiful.

I guess it would depend on your needs for the chickens , and how much space you have if you want to sale hatching eggs or chicks some people will only want pure , so you would have to sperate them out from each other , if you wanted to show you would need to seperate them from each other. Other then that I would say get a few diffrent breads depending on what you want in a chicken , a larger bird for the dinner table , a couple diffrent nice layers for egg production , some friendly chickens for fun chicken times.
I dont know if you said it anywhere but what exactly do you want from your chickens. Meat , eating eggs , hatching eggs , showing , house pets ect ect???

Back
Top Bottom