Mixed Flock or Not?

I too, have a mixed flock. I started last spring with 8 pullets. 4 RIR's 2 Barred Rocks, 2 SLW's. Of the original 8 we had 3 roosters. I found homes for all three. My husband then purchased 6 chicks. 3 buff O's, 3 leghorn cross?. We lost one buff to dog attack. All three whites turned out to be roosters.

When I started the second group of chicks the plan was to use them to fill out our flock, and two other new chicken owners, rooster loss. All of us had near 50% roosters from pullets. We all bought form a local feed store. When the six were fully feathered out I closed off half of my coop with chicken wire. I put three of the chicks there, and three to a friend to finish out. My five original hens were on full attack mode. The wire was nearly destroyed. I kept them separated by wire for at least a month. Once I mixed them together the olders were still on attack. They trapped my three youngers under the house. Now that all are full size, the younger ones still will not leave the house into the enclosure. They will come out into the pasture with the others, but always on the outside of the flock. Never part of the mix. I have clearly made a huge mistake here and need help for this coming spring!

I don't really want to go back to the feed store, but I only want 5-6 more chicks. My group of friends all bought from the same source, and we all had nearly 50% roosters. We have two feed store chains in our city, and they both use the same hatchery. It may be the one listed on an earlier post here. It is supposed to be the largest hatchery in Idaho. I REALLY don't want to have to find homes for more roosters. What is my best option for finding healthy, happy hens??

Most importantly: How do I integrate the new ones next spring into my flock and have them blend in? I gave my remaining buff to my boss to be with her remaining buff. They never blended in well with our flocks. At least they can be together. I have put lots of time and effort into raising these chickens. 14 in all and I have 5 hens to show for it. I am a bit heartbroken, if also a bit realistic.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Do you live in Idaho? I'm in North Central ID - I'd say one possibility would be to find others near you & swap - I just got 19 of various breeds from a couple that are getting divorced, added to my 17 I had...I put up the netting, opened up the various pens & the converted horse-trailer & just let them have at it. The Golden Lakenvelder rooster won a brief tussle w/ the Buff Orpington rooster, only to get ruffled by an Aruacana hen half his size...go figure! LOL Same as with me goats, I figure: they'll work things out, and as long as I keep an eye on them for a day or two to make sure nothing gets too out of hand, they settle down pretty quickly. I'll cull the ones I don't like until I get down to just 2 or 3 breeds, and then get the ones I REALLY want: Buckeyes. 2 or 3 breeds that I can breed for having a sustainable flock should do me good. It's either swap with others for what you want or buy sexed chicks, I'd think.

We have a mixed flock & love all of them.
2- Buff O's, 2- Easter Eggers, 8- Black Sex Links & 2- RIR
They all get along great. We just finished building a new coop & run. Just got them moved in on Saturday. The Buff O's & EE are about 6 months old & are not laying yet. We can"t wait for the EE's to start.

Sorry, forgot to ask. Does anyone know where we could get some Lavender Orp's. We are in SC. Thanks!!!!!!

when I looking at online hatcheries I've noticed where it says broody some say yes Should I be concerned about this if I'm not going to be raising chicks.But just for a hobby and eggs

welcome-byc.gif

I also started out with a mixed flock but fell in love with the Orpingtons, I now only have Orpingtons, they are so friendly and just a pleasure to watch. As for colours and feather designs the Orpingtons have got it all, I have Cuckoo, Lavender-Cuckoo, Lavender, Buff-Black-Lace, Blue, Splash, White, Buff, Black and Partridge. As you can see there is a wide variety of colours and feather variations, I am in South Africa so do not have the problems that you have with the cold, our problem is trying to keep them cool for most of the year as temperatures of above 38 degrees celcius are very common.Chicken Greetings from South Africa, Regards Bruce (ShirMik).
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Anyone who does not like mixed flocks want to weigh in? Maybe mutt haters?

Vinniemac!!! If you only want eggs pay CLOSE attention to the broodiness of the breed or you'll have them sitting and trying to hatch rocks if you don't give them eggs to hatch!

Great question! like some of the others who posted, I began with one breed, wanted to focus on Heritage Breed so started with Plymouth Barred Rocks but like others said, too, I've since 'branched out'.

My PBRs are still the 'backbone of my flock' due to their prolific egg laying of large to extra large brown eggs which is pretty consistent even throughout the winter here in north GA w/o added light to their coop.

I also have Welsummers - LOVE THOSE LARGE TERRA COTTA COLORED - SOME WITH SPECKLES - EGGS. The Wellie Roos are indeed the 'eye candy' of my flock. The Kellogg's corn flake logo was a Wellie Roo. The pullets are beautiful as well. My Wellie pullets have nearly stopped laying since the days are so much shorter - unlike the BRs which keep on keeping on!

Have only two Easter Egger pullets that are gorgeous - body configuration of Ameraucanas with muffs and beards - their coloring is Blue Wheaton but their legs are emerald green ( which I love ) vs. slate so they are definitely EEs. Eggs are superb pale blue/green and large but they also stopped laying with the shorter days.

I most recently added Black Australorps to my mixed flock and now that I've had them I WILL ALWAYS HAVE BLACK AUSTRALORPS as they are the calmest and most people friendly pullets of the breeds I've had thus far, even allow me to pet and touch them w/o too much protestation whereas all my other birds 'literally run screaming if I try to touch them'. Their eggs vary in size from medium to large and are a very pale almost pinkish ivory color - gorgeous! They also have continued to lay w/o added light to the coop but have slowed down some in that regard. Australorps also have the prettiest of pullet
faces as they have very large dark brown eyes and lots of red on the face - much more attractive than my other breed pullets faces. JMHO.

droolin.gif
You have my dream flock

I live very close to Idaho. About 10 miles inside the Washington border. I work in Spokane.
I had left the feathered chicks in the separated part of the coop for two weeks for daily contact thinking the older hens would get used to them and accept them. Then when I took the wire out the chicks were used to the coop, but did venture out into the pen. I came home to find the chicks pinned between the blocks the coop sits on and the fencing. It was quite the situation to get them loose and out from under the house. None of them ever got over that experience, and would not go out into the run again. All of those younger chicks have been sent to other homes now even though the one hen had started laying. It wasn't a great life for her, stuck in the coop all day. I don't want to have that problem next spring when I add to my flock.

I have been looking at My Pet Chicken. Is it a good site to order from?
I was thinking two EE's, a golden laced wyandott. Another buff to try, and something else???

I have been looking at My Pet Chicken.  Is it a good site to order from?  
I was thinking two EE's, a golden laced wyandott.  Another buff to try, and something else???
If I had to choose a hatchery, I'd go with McMurray. The EEs I have originated from there, and they lay sky blue eggs.

My Pet Chicken offers small orders, which is a plus as well.

I too, have a mixed flock. I started last spring with 8 pullets. 4 RIR's 2 Barred Rocks, 2 SLW's. Of the original 8 we had 3 roosters. I found homes for all three. My husband then purchased 6 chicks. 3 buff O's, 3 leghorn cross?. We lost one buff to dog attack. All three whites turned out to be roosters.

When I started the second group of chicks the plan was to use them to fill out our flock, and two other new chicken owners, rooster loss. All of us had near 50% roosters from pullets. We all bought form a local feed store. When the six were fully feathered out I closed off half of my coop with chicken wire. I put three of the chicks there, and three to a friend to finish out. My five original hens were on full attack mode. The wire was nearly destroyed. I kept them separated by wire for at least a month. Once I mixed them together the olders were still on attack. They trapped my three youngers under the house. Now that all are full size, the younger ones still will not leave the house into the enclosure. They will come out into the pasture with the others, but always on the outside of the flock. Never part of the mix. I have clearly made a huge mistake here and need help for this coming spring!

I don't really want to go back to the feed store, but I only want 5-6 more chicks. My group of friends all bought from the same source, and we all had nearly 50% roosters. We have two feed store chains in our city, and they both use the same hatchery. It may be the one listed on an earlier post here. It is supposed to be the largest hatchery in Idaho. I REALLY don't want to have to find homes for more roosters. What is my best option for finding healthy, happy hens??

Most importantly: How do I integrate the new ones next spring into my flock and have them blend in? I gave my remaining buff to my boss to be with her remaining buff. They never blended in well with our flocks. At least they can be together. I have put lots of time and effort into raising these chickens. 14 in all and I have 5 hens to show for it. I am a bit heartbroken, if also a bit realistic.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
You said you integrated the chicks when they were fully feathered out. How old were they? I have always waited until the "chicks" were no longer making chick noises - advice I got from someone on BYC. At this point they were usually 4 months old or so. It might be that your chicks were too young. Just a thought. Another of your posts said that you are just outside of Spokane. I am not sure about other areas but there are a lot of farms north of you - up toward Colville, you might want to check craigslist. Around here we have a number of flock swaps all year. Just be sure to check that the sellers have healthy birds and you might want to ask if they are NPIP certified. We are looking at the Colville area for retirement ;-)

Back
Top Bottom