Mixed flock

damonsulli

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
I currently have 11 hens and 1 rooster in my run/coop. I'm thinking about getting some pheasants and quail. What are your thoughts about mixing my flock with them? Thank you, Damon

First of all keep all gamebirds away from chickens!!!!I cant stress this enough, the game birds will get diseases from your chickens and will all die. Do you know what kind of quail you are getting?Or pheasent?Before you raise any animal make sure you research them and find out allthe information you need to raise them.

As a kid I raised ring neck pheasants to make money. I used bantam hens as foster mothers and it worked fine (once I learned that it was necessary to use hardware cloth to keep the chicks contained.) I never had any health problems using this system. In my experience ring neck cockbirds are very aggressive to chickens. The ornamental pheasants I raised were picked on by my chickens. For me mixing the breeds on a full time basis did not work because of personality conflicts not health problems.

theres a place down the road from me that have a coop with like 4pens coming out of it but i think the inside is all 1 coop they just keep male ornamentals and have milefluer and sebright bantys in with them.
they also have geese and peacocks.
it is a cattle ranch and they have the aviary as part of the tour it sounds as if they know what they are doing that or they are very good at lying. then my dads friend has several different gamebirds and bantys(he keeps them in seperate cages but they are right next to eachother).
ooh and i have a female ringneck pheasant in a cage in my chicken coop with no problems

Last edited:
Oops sorry I meant quail. They are so small they will get pecked on and killed plus get diseased and no free ranging
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom