mixed race chicks

Stickngiggles

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Northern Arizona
This is my first year with chicks\chickens and my buttercup's been sitting in her nest almost a week straight now, which is great except my roosters aren't buttercups. If she does actually hatch babies should I be worried? never heard of mixed race chickens but I'm a newb. any help is appreciated.

No its alright if they mate. The chicks would be fine if you take care of the eggs and the chicks.

There are many mix breed chickens.

Just make sure the male a big breed like a jersey giant and the hen a bantam because the egg might be too big for the hen to lay.....

Last edited:
This is my first year with chicks\chickens and my buttercup's been sitting in her nest almost a week straight now, which is great except my roosters aren't buttercups. If she does actually hatch babies should I be worried? never heard of mixed race chickens but I'm a newb. any help is appreciated.

Mixed breed chickens are quite common - many crosses are purposefully used such as those used to created sex linked chicks (those that hatch with differences that make it possible to sex them on sight) or to boost production of meat/eggs, etc. Even above and beyond those examples, mixed breed chickens, barnyard mixes, etc. without a specific purpose for the cross are entirely common and there is no reason not to have them/hatch them.

Back
Top Bottom