mixed race chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stickngiggles, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Stickngiggles

Stickngiggles New Egg

Oct 7, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    This is my first year with chicks\chickens and my buttercup's been sitting in her nest almost a week straight now, which is great except my roosters aren't buttercups. If she does actually hatch babies should I be worried? never heard of mixed race chickens but I'm a newb. any help is appreciated.

2. Hilacraft

Hilacraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2014
    United States
    No its alright if they mate. The chicks would be fine if you take care of the eggs and the chicks.

There are many mix breed chickens.

Just make sure the male a big breed like a jersey giant and the hen a bantam because the egg might be too big for the hen to lay.....

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Mixed breed chickens are quite common - many crosses are purposefully used such as those used to created sex linked chicks (those that hatch with differences that make it possible to sex them on sight) or to boost production of meat/eggs, etc. Even above and beyond those examples, mixed breed chickens, barnyard mixes, etc. without a specific purpose for the cross are entirely common and there is no reason not to have them/hatch them.

4. Stickngiggles

Stickngiggles New Egg

Oct 7, 2014
    Northern Arizona
    Thanks for the input. I figured it would be alright wasn't to sure

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Egg size is determined only by the chicken laying it, not the rooster who only donates the sperm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by