Mixing animals??

Big Dreamer

Songster
9 Years
Aug 21, 2010
Central, FL
I Have 3 ducks, 2 are going because of noise,
hit.gif
and im keeping the quieter one,because i love him!!
love.gif
and i am planning on getting either Muscovy or WH, depending on my mom.
caf.gif
Well i have a bunny and i was wondering if i could keep my bunny outside with my ducks and put them up at night, in different coops, but would she get picked on in the day time? and the pen they will be sharing will be grassy and big so im not worried about her getting wet from the ducks, but i just didnt want her getting picked on or her pick on the other ducks, and like i said i would put them in diffferent coops at night.
bun.gif
opinions??
idunno.gif

you could always try it and see, while watching them very carefully for any bullying and separate if you need to.

I keep chickens, ducks and tortoises and a cat who all free range together in my garden. Nobody bothers anybody else, although the chickens are top of the pecking order and will chase the ducks if they get near the food before them, but they all know their place. So far the ducks (who are only 8 weeks old) are wary of the cat and the tortoises, and just move away when they come near, they don't freak out.

However, last year I had mallards and they really bothered the tortoises, drilling into their crevices like they do in the mud. I think they thought they were large moving stones! They never hurt them though but I did move the tortoises to another area because they did not like the attention.

So, I think you just have to see if they all get on, keep a careful eye on them, and make alternative arrangements if you need to separate any.

Just my advice.

I have ducks and a bunny. Honestly, I don't think that keeping them together is going to be helpful to either species. I think you need to get another duck if you are worried about the first one being lonely. A rabbit won't be much of a companion to a duck unless possibly they were raised together. Even then, I don't know that it is healthy for either.
Just my opinion. Have had ducks and rabbits for almost 10 years, and mine could interact if they wanted, but I have never seen them do it. Ever.

Veronicasmom, I am not sure that the OP intended to mix for company, rather for space sharing. Please correct me if I am wrong, BG. My advice was based on peaceful co-existence rather than companionship, and I agree with what you say on that point.

Having raised rabbits for several years I do not recommend put your rabbits in with poultry they can pick up too many dieases from them and eye problems. If you want you rabbits to have a place to run then build him his own, but you'll have to watch him close because they will dig out.

Yeah it wasnt for companionship it was for space reasons, and i was just trying to make it easier on myself, and i know all animals make noise, but im talking about a LESS noisy duck, im not that stupid...
ya.gif

BD, if you are looking for less noisy, then you really need to get all drakes of any type of duck, or muscovies.
Apart from muscovies, all female domestic ducks of any breed have the potential for lots of noise. I am sure you would hate to get another breed and then just have to rehome those again because they are quacky!

I am sure you will think carefully and make the right long-term decision. It is a shame your current set-up is not working out, and I'm sure you will try and ensure that you don't make the same mistake again. I hope you have managed to find a good home for your unwanted ducks.
smile.png

I have found a great new home, a huge pond on a horse farm with a lot of other ducks. The guy just has to call back, and i know girls are loud but i wanted some ducklings and eggs, and WH are supposidley quieter...

ive never kept bunnies but i would be worried about the bunnies eating the duck food and the ducks eating the bunny food. i know thatt my guinea pigs are crazy about poultry food. if their is chicken food on my fingers my piggies will start biting my fingers. i also think that the ducks constantly pooping would be too dirty for the rabbit.

Back
Top Bottom