mixing bantams with stardard breed flock

slim1986

Songster
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Highfill, Arkansas
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has mixed any standard breed flock with a bantam flock and if so what are the results? I have 9 standard hens (5 leghorns, 1 black jersey giant and 3 cinnamon queens) and one unknown red and white roo, and I'm wanting to get my daughter some banties because she thinks those "baby chickens" are cute. We free range all our birds, and it would be no problem building the banties their own coop and run, but would rather let them free range with the others. Any comments and advice on bantams would be helpful also because all my chicken know how involves standard size breeds. Oh and we also have guineas and ducks, so any one who as experience in mixing those with bantams would be helpful too! Thanks!

With Guinea's ive heard they are ok.
Just to be careful if you have a male Guinea and a rooster, they may fight (the guinea would probably kill it).
Just make sure you have more then one guinea so it has company. They don't identify with chickens but they will get along with them.
Also to lock the Guinea's in the coop for a week or so if your going to free range them, otherwise they probably won't come back ._.

I'm not sure about ducks

Our guineas are on the bottom of the over all pecking order with the ducks being on top and the chickens in the middle, I'm thinking we'll go small and get her the roo and hen of her choice, then pick out 2 to 3 hens of my own which breed to u prefer?

If you would like some really friendly, cute, and docile birds, i recommend silkies. They also make good broodies (idk if they would get picked on by your other birds though).
I also like Old english games but i would recommend only the hens/pullets because the roosters can be pretty mean.
Polish bantams are nice but they are easily picked on because they can't see/defend themselves due to their crest feathers (so i wouldn't recommend one in your situation.)
Theres tons of different breeds out there. Due your research and you will find the perfect breeds for you :]!

I've read of many success of mixed bantam/LF flocks. But I've also read of issues. I think it's easier if you get them all at the same time, or if your bantams are your older, original flock. Since your established flock is LF, personally I'd opt for a separate coop/run (which is what I did when I added bantams). That being said, I primarily free range, and so my flocks do mix together. But I was sure glad that I had separate areas for them those first few months when my little girls were tiny!! Now my big girls will occasionally go lay in my bantam coop, and my d'uccle girl will lay in the big girl coop. My silkies don't have that option, as they can't get up to the big girl nest box...lol.
I think especially with silkies and other crested breeds, a separate coop pays off.

There a no problems I've ever encounter with mixing Chickens (lg fowl/bantams) and Ducks.

There are two issues:

1. The chickens must be aggressive as the ducks will steal all their food.
2. The ducks will crap-up the chicken waterers every single day.

Quote:
Lol! Yeah, we feed in 4 or 5 different spots so the chickens and guineas get a chance at some food too! Lol and we have 4 different waterers spread around the coop and yard only 2 of are kiddie pools for the ducks to play in (they refuse to go to the pond) how well do bantams winter? We get some bad winters here, is there a need to put some lights in the coop? I have plans to build another coop for the birds we already have for this winter. What breeds does everyone else like? I've heard silkies are good and was just wondering what everyone else likes! Thanks for all the input!

Back
Top Bottom