Mixing banties with standards in a flock - what are your thoughts?

Should I mix bantams into my standard size flock?

• Never mix banties in - they will get hurt!

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • You can mix them, but be careful!

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I have seen them mixed all the time and they do fine!

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
Thank you all for the responses! I am happy to be learning about this. A little info - I have 8 standard hens - no roos (hopefully 7 soon, trying to sell one).

I have a separate area for quarantine that can double as a coop if they don't integrate well. They free range every other day for 2-8 hours (only when I'm home).

I can give them baby feeders and waterers, as I have these already.

Do you all do 2 weeks or 1 month quarantine?

Then I plan on a 2 week look-don't-touch.

I have 2 Sebrights with 4 larger bantams (3 cochin, 1 brahma). The Sebrights are definitely at the bottom of the pecking order, even though they're all bantams. They were picked on a lot at first, but not so much now that they have a larger space. They might do fine, but I'd have a back-up plan in case it doesn't work out. They do fly well, so having some higher perches available may help, along with the usual "get-away" options. 😊

Thank you all for the responses! I am happy to be learning about this. A little info - I have 8 standard hens - no roos (hopefully 7 soon, trying to sell one).

I have a separate area for quarantine that can double as a coop if they don't integrate well. They free range every other day for 2-8 hours (only when I'm home).

I can give them baby feeders and waterers, as I have these already.

Do you all do 2 weeks or 1 month quarantine?

Then I plan on a 2 week look-don't-touch.
Then I see no reason not to house them together. My bantams do just fine with everything (pellets, water bpwls, nest boxes, literally everything) being built for standards.

Here they are!

IMG_1794.jpeg
IMG_1801.jpeg
IMG_1815.jpeg

I run my bantams with my standards with no issues BUT...I don't have roosters & I don't have really dominant/aggressive breeds. All my hens are pretty mellow. The bantams do just fine with the feeders & waters I use & there are no issues with nesting boxes.

They are so adorable! I love your set-up!
I love Seabrights! Unfortunately I haven't been able to procure any yet. Generally I have to choose from what's locally available, which has meant a very mixed flock. It's not ideal but I have been blessed in that so far it has worked.

Back
Top Bottom