Mixing Birds (layers and growers)

jedchops2003

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 15, 2011
Hi All,

Does anyone know if it's ok to meat birds for meat with egg layers? We have 14 egg layers and are thinking of getting a couple of growers but don't know if we have to keep them separate or not? Any advice would be great.

How old are the egg layers? If they are older than the meat chicks, they probably will be pecking them if you put them in together.

I would think you might have issues with feeds. You wouldn't want to feed your layers a broiler feed and you wouldn't want to feed the meat birds a layer feed.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
It is definitely dependent on how old your layers are. Layer feed is not suitable for broilers but you can feed meatbird feed to layers but it will cost more to feed them. (generally) Also the older birds will peck and harass the younger / smaller birds. It is not advisable to keep them together, especially when they aren't the same age.

After doing my first batch of broilers with a batch of layers I will never do that again. Keep them separate. Build a simple tractor to move around the yard and you will be all set.

Quote:
I have to agree. I keep my broilers separate from my layers because I feed them totally different.
thumbsup.gif

I agree... My meat birds are soo greedy, I would be scared the egg layers wouldnt get enough food.... and poop will be everywhere.. keep them seperated

Back
Top Bottom